Thread: Phil's the Man

Phil's the Man

I upgraded my really old second hand falling apart grizzly with Phil's baffle design and direct vented outside and all I can say is wow! My suction is incredible and after a bag have notice no dust build up outside. What does make it out either blows away or washes away. I plan on mounting the blower higher and runnin 6in pipe.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Bob! That is one slick install. I know a lot of people have asked about outside venting so I'm sure this thread will help them understand what is involved.

Thanks for the feedback and pics.

Thanks Phil,
    I didn't show the baffle because I figured there were enough pictures of those but it does work great.

Bob

I wish I could do the same, but my gas water heater and gas furnace are in the garge/shop with me. Whenever i exhaust outside I can smell the exhaust gas in the garage. The only fix is to open a window or door when running the fan...not an option in 100 deg summers or freezing winters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    Thanks Phil,
    I didn't show the baffle because I figured there were enough pictures of those but it does work great.

Bob
    Bob

I'd like to see the baffle construction if you have time to take the pic. I have a Jet DC 1100 that I'd like to modify.

Nice work Bob

My baffle is Phil's standard design you can see good pic taken by others in the construction phase at Phil's site

Bob

Edit: Click on Phil's name and then click to visit his homepage....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-19-2008 at 5:07 PM. Reason: Removed link to another forum per TOS.

bob, is the diameter of the exiting pipe/ducting to the outside 6" or 8"; what the horsepower rating on the dc?

thanks for posting your experience; I also am thinking of doing the same

I think Phil's innovation prevents all but a trace of dust being vented outside while the ducting outside (as opposed to recirculating the air via a bag or filter) improves the "suction" (? static pressure) by reducing resistance to air movement in the system

michael

Not to be impolite or anything, but who is Phil and where can we see the baffle modification for HF DC. I searched SMC for Phil and DC and did not find anything. I am not brand new here, but don't everybody by name yet, but would love to see the DC modification change. Ray Knight

As was mentioned a couple of messages above, just click on any message entered by Phil Thien, click on his name, click on his web page and you'll get the whole story. I'm surprised that searching on baffle didn't get you a whack of threads about Phil's baffle. It has a relatively long and chatty history here. I am truly ...b.b.b.b.baffled.

...ken...

....here's a link to phil thien's website

michael
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-19-2008 at 6:11 PM. Reason: Please, TOS prevents links to other forums

Guys we are not alowed to post his site but if your go to the second post on this thread It is Phil Thien. Just click on him and go to his home page.

I am using a 6in outlet as that is what inlet I will be using in the future. it is an older grizzly with a 12" fan and a 2hp motor.

Here's a couple links to othe creek thread on the dust collection mod.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74713
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=80701

I just want to thank Phil again for sharing this with us. Until I build a shop that is insulated and heated I have no need for a cyclone now. I am not sure what my airflow is but it is way more than before. and no more beating my felt bag against a tree.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 05-19-2008 at 7:39 PM.