Thread: Plunge vs fixed base for router table.

Plunge vs fixed base for router table.

I'm looking at purchasing a router that will live in my router table I am building. I currently have a PC 892 router that is 2 1/4 HP. I would like to get a Dedicated router for the router table. I'm looking at ones in the 3 1/4 Hp range. I don't want to spend more t hen $300 on another router, I was looking at the dewalt DW625, now grated it is only 3hp but should be good enough, the question I have, would there be any problem using a plunge router in a router table ? or is it best to stick to a fixed base ?

Bit lower on HP than your looking for, but the PC 895K has both a plunge and stationary base, works pretty well for me, but I don't do a lot of heavy routing either.
    Al

Forget "horsepower"...look at the amps.

That said, if you don't want to buy a lift, one of the current crop of 15 amp plungers that offer above the table adjustment would be a good choice for your dedicated application. The DW625 is a proven, but older design, and I don't believe it has that feature.

I use a PC7518 with a lift in my table...it's fixed base with the handles sawed off.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Regardless of what you do, consider whether you will be doing above the table bit changes or removing the router from the housing. If you go with a plunge, you want to be sure at the full height, the collet is workable.

I use a Milwaukee 5625 and just drop it out of the housing which is very quick. I was looking at lifts but realize that the way the Mil is made I would require an offset wrench no matter how thin the router plate is. that in itself is not a show stopper but it is something to think about.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you do go with the Mil 5625, mount it 45º out of square to get the adjustment wrench out from under the fence. I have one and it works great.

CPeter

I'm in the same position as you are, and I just ordered the Hitachi M12V2 from the jungle for $160 shipped. 15 amp 3 1/4 HP and gets good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Smi View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a router that will live in my router table I am building. I currently have a PC 892 router that is 2 1/4 HP. I would like to get a Dedicated router for the router table. I'm looking at ones in the 3 1/4 Hp range. I don't want to spend more t hen $300 on another router, I was looking at the dewalt DW625, now grated it is only 3hp but should be good enough, the question I have, would there be any problem using a plunge router in a router table ? or is it best to stick to a fixed base ?
    Jeff,

About 12 months ago I bought a reconditioned Bosch 1619 EVS 3 1/4 hp router for my router table, and the price is about 1/2 off list price. This router comes with a factory warrantee and is factory reconditioned. This router comes with a factory installed plunge lockout that is designed for installing this router into a router table. Router has soft start and I love it. Yesterday I used this router to cut a lot of 45 degree miter joints in 3/4" oak plywood and it does a great job. It has enough power to cut all day and can cut through a lot of stock without chattering or straining. I would strongly recommend this router get a good look from anyone who wants value and performance