Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet JWTS-10 Table Saw?

Jet JWTS-10 Table Saw?

There is a Jet JWTS-10 Table Saw up for sale near me. Anyone have experience with this saw?

Good Starter Saw

Danny,

It is a good starter saw, plenty of power, very quite and no vibrations. It vibrates less than my new steel city. I am selling it for 2 reasons the stock fence is bad. Mine is alittle over 1 year old and then fence wont lock in alignment unless you fuss with it every time. There aren't any built in adjustment so I used what ever I could find to shim it. It turned out masking tape worked the best. The other problem I had was the miter guage it is very sloppy. When I looked at up grading both the fence and miter guage I realized I could by a new steel city 3 hp saw for the same price as I would have had into this saw. So I uprgraded.

What it comes down to is if you are going to do projects every so often it is a great saw for that. I had to measure both ends of the fence every time I moved it. But if you start doing more work and don't like the hastles by a better saw if you can afford it. What do they always say, "buy the best saw you can afford."
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 05-15-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Delete advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    There is a Jet JWTS-10 Table Saw up for sale near me. Anyone have experience with this saw?

Think there is a PDF manual on this site.. I have the JWCS-10A Cabinet Saw which is much different of course.
    Love it, bought it on ebay for 350.00 it was used for 1 project cutting plywood. Big cast iron top with extension table and the guy threw in a bunch of other stuff.

content.wmhtoolgroup.com
    "You can lead them to Linux
    but you can't make them Think"

Retired and testing my woodworking skills

If that is the one with the Jetfence, I had one, and it was bad. The fence deflected too much in the rear, and I was always getting burning. It didn't want to stay in alignment. I'd either pass on it or plan on upgrading the fence. Everything else was good about except that and the footprint.

Hmmm. So deduct for the fence.

What about Dust Collection on one of these? Is there any hope?

There is a dust collection tube underneath the saw. you have to get on you knees and look up under. You can connect a 2 1/2 hose or as I have heard some have used pvc tubing the make a drop down to connect to. I used to hook up my shop vac to it and it worked ok. You still get plenty of dust on the table top. Dust collection on any contractor saws isn't very good. The nice thing about this saw or atleast the one I have is that the motor does not hang out the back. It is contained underneath the top. I don't know about the older models? Anyway it allows you to store it alot closer to a wall. The fence is the worst part of the saw. I guess you can buy a decent upgrade, say a T-2 fence (made by delta), from lowes for under $150. I have heard during sales say around fathers day, you can get them for $120. The t-2 is not a bad fence. A Biesemeyer fence is better but at least double the $. Then build your self and nice cross cut sled and you got a half way decent saw.

I'd make sure it had the cast iron wings on both sides. Some of the base JET models only came with stamped wings. I love my JET contractor, it has cast wings both sides and the 50" extension table to the right side. My fence is the Beismeyer cone, not sure if it is called the JETfence or not, but it works great.

I purchased this saw last summer and I have used it for a variety of projects. I started out as a Turner but I am getting into furniture building. I agree with most of the comments above. However I am not sold on the extra expense of the cast iron wings. Also I am not sure about everyone who is down on the fence. It seems they either were doing something wrong or were used to another tablesaw before the one in question. Regardless I am quite happy with mine, but it would be nice to have a nicer saw with better DC and fence but that costs money. I would say if you are able to get the deal for under $350 its all probably worth it for a starter saw/weekend warrior.

Here Is a Picture of my saw. If the one you are looking at has the same fence I think it is kindof junk. I really dont think the CI wings are that big of a deal. It helps longer pieces slide better when cross cutting, but I dont know how well the frame will hold that extra weight. This frame flexes an aweful lot know when moving it on its wheels. You have to be gental moving it. $350 should be a good price. But I have seen better!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Here Is a Picture of my saw. If the one you are looking at has the same fence I think it is kindof junk. I really dont think the CI wings are that big of a deal. It helps longer pieces slide better when cross cutting, but I dont know how well the frame will hold that extra weight. This frame flexes an aweful lot know when moving it on its wheels. You have to be gental moving it. $350 should be a good price. But I have seen better!
    Hi Paul - Is your saw the Jet "Workshop" 708100 hybrid? If so, it's quite a bit different than the standard Jet contractor saw with an outboard motor....most of the differences in the guts are advantages, but I agree the fence on this one is probably it's weak link. The "Jet Fence", while no Exacta fence was just a basic aluminum fence, but had it's fair share of fans that included Tom Hintz from Newwoodworker.com IIRC. The 708100 was on sale for $400 last year when introduced and was quite a bargain for a hybrid.

I think the Jet the OP is asking about looks like this one from the back:
    Last edited by scott spencer; 05-16-2008 at 8:43 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thats the saw. I have the 708100. I paid $400 for it last year but I know it is selling for a lot more now, I think around $600. I don't know if I would call it a hybid. You probably could because the motor doesn't hang out the back. But it is still a starter saw if you ask me. I just upgraded to a Steel city granite topped 3hp saw.
    Anyway the saw that I have is well... alright if it had a better fence, miter guage, and stand. If you plan on moving it around the shop alot you have to strengthen the stand. The saw you are looking at, is it the older contractor style, with the motor out the back? If it is I don't know much about the fence. What I am telling you is the saw that I have has its draw backs. Poor DC, fence, miter guage, and guard. What it does have is a strong motor, a decent top (even though the wings are stamped), and semi mobile base for a lower price. For the money I would look strongly at the ridgid contractor style. I have never heard a bad thing about the saw only I think the motor hangs out the back, I think that is such a STUPID DESIGN for any saw. And you should be able to buy it for around $400. Otherwise spend as much as you can afford. If you can spend $1000 buy a steel city, you wont ever need another saw unless you start doing professional work. And then you can go into a different version of a steel city.

When I started looking for a different saw I look at a SS. But I couldn't justify spending $4000, "knock on wood". So I started researching the SS contractor. Well after you put a good fence on it and steel wings it is going to cost $2000. You can buy a dam nice cabinet saw for that (No motor hanging out the back). As far as I have been told the SS contractor will have the motor out the back.

I paid $1250 for my granite topped steel city with 3hp. Hopefully my fingers will never regret it.

The one I had, the stand was just fine. One had to just follow the instructions when putting it together. Don't tighten the nuts on the stand all the way until it is right side up and with the saw on it. I had mine in an HTC mobile base, and had no problems at all moving it around the shop.

I paid $400 for mine in about 2001.

The guy has bundled the Jet TS with a Shop Fox dust collector and a Delta tenoning jig for $600. Dust collection is going to be important to me, so the $600 sounds a bit steep. I learned on my last saw what a difference a SOLID fence makes, and would probably replace it with a Biese.

I dont think the tendoning jig adds much, but maybe the DC. It depends what model. I wouldn't pay much more than about $350 for the saw by itself. When you start talking about $600 for everthing else. You can look for a better used saw for that kind of money. I have heard of people picking up unisaws, and powermatics for that if you look.
    I would have waited and looked for a used saw my self. But I am in the middle of rual MN, not too many good used saws to be had. I tried going to auctions for a couple of months but everything I came accross was very neglected. So I just bought new. Thanks to uncle sam, and my wife.
    What modle of shop fox dust collector? How many CFM does it pull?

I'm not sure if you are fixated on one brand over another, but a quick look through the Memphis craigslist brought up a nice craftsman in Collierville for 200.00. Might be worth a look.

A dust collector can be had fairly inexpensively, with some looking. If you can separate the shopfox* from the saw for 125 -150, and add a canister filter for another 100, now you have something.

Jim

*Assuming it's at least a 2hp machine