Thread: Brett TS Guard

Question Brett TS Guard

Does anyone have any experience with the Brett line of TS guards? I am thinking about the 10-A that mounts on the left side of the saw (I have a left tilt Grizzly 1023). Will this guard work okay with an Incra 1000SE miter gauge?
    We all know the stock guards are junk and do not offer any real protection - shame to have to spend another $250 to get a decent one.

Thanks

Greg

Brett Guard

The Brett Guard has been around for a long time. When I was in high school we used one. In the middle 60s. I don't know about the specific models. However, you need to consider what the guard will do to the cutting capacity of your saw. The overarm attachment is the downside of the guards that are suspended over the blade the mounting plate reduces the clearance of material over the wings of the table. If you use the fence on the right side of the blade you may want to mount the guard on the right side if the blade. The Brett guard is very good.

The Brett Guard has a good reputation.

I cannot think of any good reason to mount it on the left, however, for most woodworking activities. It would seriously hamper crosscutting and many other operations. Mounting to the right side of the right extension table is the most common method for overarm guards. If your saw is stationary all the time, then a ceiling mount might also be practical.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Overarm on sale

The 10A-M30P, overarm Brett guard with dust port for a contractor saw, is available for $219 at Amazon. This is by far the best price I have seen for this style guard. I recently purchased at $255 and have already requested 2 price protection refunds chasing the price down.

When I started teaching I was introduced to the Brett Guard, at first I hated it however once I got used to it I grew to like it. It is a quality item much better then just about all the guards I have seen. The combination of very thick Lexan, a splitter and anti-kickback device works very well. When I set up my home shop I searched for one for my Unisaw. I lucked into a super deal at Amazon last summer for about $100. I did have to return 2 due to missing parts but that was an Amazon thing. It took 2 months to get a complete one.
    There are some cuts that it cannot be used for due to mounting restrictions. Perhaps the overhead mounts would overcome those problems but I never used that model and I'm not sure If I would want to for my setup. I have the version with 2 brackets, side and rear.
    Keep your eye on Amazon they do go on sale.
    Robert
    Last edited by Robert Conner; 05-18-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    My overarm is on the right just past the maximum reach of my fence.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I installed a Sharkguard that attaches to the splitter and features a 4" dust fitting.

It works quite well. The only downside is the wait that was ~ 4 months (made to order). I recall pricing was ~ $120.

8. Low Price

Amazon currently has the HTC 10A-M30P Brett-Guard for $167.40 with free shipping in case anybody is still interested.

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-10A-M30P-B...ct/B0001LQXI6/