Thread: where do you get the faceplates for outboard?

where do you get the faceplates for outboard?

whats the best place to get the outboard faceplate for the General we have here at school? also is there a certain type that will work best? im going to use it for that big peice on the other post. i dont want something that will cost alot though.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

What's the setup?
    Many lathes use the same faceplate for outboard as inboard

Personally I like Don Pencil faceplate, cheap and have 8 holes for screws
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

http://wbnoble.com/
    Not fancy, or machined but do the job at very little cost. I have been happy with them. They are cheap enough that I can have a bunch and leave them on my blanks for drying if I choose.
    Jerry Hall

these are the 2 lathes 26020VDR-M2 / 260VDR-M2 -20" AND 12" WOOD TURNING LATHE- 4 Variable/Reversible Speeds With Electronic Control
    they are 2 biggest that General makes, NOT GENERAL INTERNATIONAL

Nose-inboard (R.H. Thread) 1 1/4"-8 (31.7 mm
    Nose-outboard (L.H. Thread) 1 1/8"-8 (28.5 mm)

i have a 36inch piece that is endgrain maple,

Don't forget you will also need a tool rest for OB turning. Also, from the pics of the 3 lathes in the school shop you will not have enough room to safely do a large OB turning, is the shop teacher willing to move the lathe ? Your teacher should know where to get a face plate.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Curtis,
    Don't forget to make sure the faceplate has several set screws. You wouldn't want that thing to come off the lathe when you hit the switch and the lathe either powers up or powers down. A pattern-maker friend saw this happen while someone was turning a piece 8' in diameter (yes, 8 feet). He said it was pretty scary!

Be safe,
    Dick

i can move the lathes, we have a heavy steel pipe seperate toolrest that can be used

Curtis,

If I was correct, I think your big blank is end grain oriented and has cracks already, I won't trust anything 30" with only 8 screws no matter how big the screws are. Screws have more bite on side grain. Consider the heavy duty steel faceplate from Oneway, and put good screws on each and every hole. Safety is not something you want to go cheap.
    It is difficult to find inexpensive new faceplate above 4" diameter. With a 4" FP, the blank/FP ratio is 7.5. A catch with 8 screws on end grain would be too risky. May be search EBay.
    Gordon

Curtis.....In all honesty, I believe you are getting into some uncharted waters. That end grain maple is already cracked and unevenly dried (somewhat). You can easily catch a tool and shatter the slab. In that case, you'd better have your goalie equipment on!

Yeah, turning a huge piece is intriguing, but very dangerous...especially without the proper equipment. It sounds like you are fairly inexperienced. I have a 260 General and would not consider turning the Silver Maple slabs outboard on that machine....You would need to build a wider footprint for the Gen and weight it down. I routinely turn slabs weighing from 80-250lbs only on my big Oneway.

If you are in PA, come over to my shop and get a better idea of what turning big stuff is about. The last thing I want to do is discourage you, but there are some very real safety issues to be considered.

BE SAFE!!!!!!!

Curtis you have gotten some pretty wise advice from Dick, Gordon and Greg. I would take Greg up on his offer to see what big turning is about. If you are talking about those slabs in your other thread I wouldn't turn either one. If it was to disintegrate on the lathe it could spell disaster. Curtis be wise, be safe and be smart.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

where do you live greg? i think when i actually turn it, which wont be till next year, i will make sure to video tape it for you guys to see