Thread: Been Busy Toolmaking

Been Busy Toolmaking

The last couple of weeks have been busy making hand tools. I've had a supply problem getting Snakewood (now solved) so I made some knives out of Gabon Ebony and Brazilian Tulipwood (a rosewood variety) to fill the gap. I'm also working on a batch in East Indian Rosewood so that I can have an offering of the traditional material for tool handles. As yet I haven't decided on a name (see post in Off Topic Forum) for my little side business. The suggestions made were helpful and under consideration, but decisions, decisions, decisions....

The first pic shows the Ebony (top), Tulipwood (middle), and the Snakewood onthe bottom. The second pic is an array of a bunch together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

As is your typical level of quality, they ALL look great, but I must say that my favorite is still the Snakewood! Keep up the great work and good luck on your little venture!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Gorgeous Dave!

Those hydraulic fittings used for ferrules?
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Hey Dave,

Are those Hock blades? Or do you make them yourself?
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Beautiful, as always, Dave!

Dave,

sweet marking knives.....

I'm new to this forum. Are these for sale? Link would be appreciated.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I love the tulipwood! Keep up the good work.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Tim,
    Just PM him...he'll explain.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private....wpm&userid=108
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Some Answers

The knives are completely of my own manufacture. The blades are made from O1 tool steel bar stock which I shape and heat treat. The ferrules are not compression fittings, but are off the shelf brass ferrules I purchase from Lee Valley. It seemed an unnecessary amount of effort and expense to make my own ferrules since they are mostly a trim item and actually are of limited utility when it comes to strength. I do sell the knives, I can't violate SMC terms of service. As a moderator I have to set an example.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH