Thread: what to make folding doors out of?

what to make folding doors out of?

I need to make some painted bi-fold doors out of wood. They will be 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" deep. I would like to get some clear softwood 8/4 stock. Lumber yards in my area and Lowes & the BORG mostly carry Southern yellow pine 2X stock which is anything but clear. If I have to mail order the stock should I look for fir or some type of select pine? I have never purchased good quality softwood before and am at a loss what to look for. Hopefully whatever I use won't tend to warp too much.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Find out where

Find out where the local cabinet shops get their lumber. Just stop by and ask them.
    Poplar is relatively inexpensive, light and paints well.

Tony B

Eastern white pine is typical here in the North East. Its getting spendy these days for clear grade stock (select and better) but its pretty stable and works well. VGDF in a clear grade is even more here and it gets tricky to shape for some things. Both make the shop smell real nice.

Poplar. Paint loves it and it's easy to work too.
    Use the fence Luke

You don't say what size your doors will be (w x h) but

1 1/2" to 1 3/4" "deep" (sic) I assume means thickness of door frame. A standard 6'8" entry door is 1 5/8" or so, so I don't think you want 8/4. 6/4 would be more appropriate; 4/4 would be a little flimsy after planing, and no mention is made of any internal panel which would be set in to the frame.

Since you say painted, as the other fellows point out, poplar is probably best choice or kiln dried cedar; kiln dried pine may be 3rd choice due to softness and grain that won't hold up as well as the first two and the price of the pine v. poplar might leave you folded up .

As Tony suggested, find the wholesaler (if they will tell you) and see if they will sell to you, assuming (guessing) that you don't have a business license. Just for a frame of reference, poplar in No CA sels for $2.40 and up, wholesale.

I live in Savannah Ga. I took Tony's advise and went to three cabinet shops in the area looking for paint quality softwood . None of them assemble their own cabinets, they get precut parts. I went to three independent lumberyards with little luck. One had two 8/4" poplar boards. They also had three six foot long 8/4 pine boards... not enough for the project and I would waste quite a bit of it. No one carries 6/4 material whatsoever. One yard did have 5/4 ( a bit over 7/8" actual) finger jointed pre-primed stock. Everything else was yellow pine left in piles outdoors.

Striking out on all counts I returned to the BORG. I reexamined the select lumber racks and found this pine from New Zeland that is very clear and nicely milled. It is also about $4.50 bf, wow. However it is dried well and is very straight, clear and flat. I will laminate two 3/4 layers to make up my 1 1/2 door stiles and rails.

I usually go to the Hardwood Store in Gibseville NC to purchase hardwood for my projects. They do carry poplar but it wouldn't pay to spend $175 in gas to make the run. I've a feeling obtaining hardwood is going to be a very expensive proposition for me shortly, softwood already is. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meyer View Post
    I need to make some painted bi-fold doors out of wood. They will be 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" deep. I would like to get some clear softwood 8/4 stock. Lumber yards in my area and Lowes & the BORG mostly carry Southern yellow pine 2X stock which is anything but clear. If I have to mail order the stock should I look for fir or some type of select pine? I have never purchased good quality softwood before and am at a loss what to look for. Hopefully whatever I use won't tend to warp too much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Poplar should be first choice for painted items.

It looks terrible without paint and takes paint better than any other wood you would even consider painting.

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"