Thread: Good sandpaper?

Good sandpaper?

This is probably kind of a dumb question, but does anybody have any recommendation for good sandpaper?

I picked up some GatorGrip hook-and-loop sanding disks for my random orbital sander at Lowe's, only to find that they don't seem to last very long. I'm using various grits on hard Maple, and it seems like a sheet can cover an area of about 6-8 square feet and it's junk. Having only recently gotten back into woodworking, I don't know if this is the normal life expectancy and GatorGrip is good stuff, or if it is cheap junk. What is good, or what is a good value? Also, are there any companies that offer grits finer than 220 in hook-and-loop sanding disks?

Thank you!
    Travis

Many folks speak highly of Klingspoor.

BTW, welcome to SMC!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The best sand paper I've seen is the Rhynogrip from Industrial Abrasives. Their web site is a no frills thing and doesn't even resemble the company name but it is riverweb dot com

I really like Mirka Bulldog Gold. You can buy it from Homestead or from the TargetCoatings website.

can never go wrong with 3M.

Blog Entries
    Klingspor, Mirka and 3M's 3X paper all have done well for me. The standard 3M stuff is very close in price to 3X but wears out too quickly to bother trying to save the few cents per piece for me. The Gator stuff at Lowe's is better than standard 3M but lasts half as long as 3X for me. Only tried it once which was enough. YMMV.

P.s. Watch your stearate levels in some no-fill paper if it matters to your material. I have never had a problem but stick to walnut, cherry, the oaks, the maples and ash for the most part.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mirkaba's Abranet is my favorite. Check it out. It lasts much longer than any of the other "standard" paper, in my experience.

I will put my vote on the 3M 3x, I have used a few different ones that I can buy locally and the 3M just works the best and last the longest. Not saying that it is better then some of the others but I can buy it locally so when I need it I can go get it.

3M, the purple stuff

I have had good luck with Mirka, I get it at Acme Tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was using the Lowes/Home Depot stuff and it wasn't lasting at all, the grit wasn't lasting and the actual fuzzy backing would come loose...

I called Mirka and found an industrial dealer nearby.. I'll never go back to using the stuff from the Borgs.. Mirka is great stuff for my money. Plus they make a random orbit sandpaper with no holes which I like for some woods that have tendency to have splinters and catch in the holes of normal paper.

Smile Thank you!

Thank you for your replies - I now have learned of 4 brands I hadn't heard of before that I can try (Klingspor, Rhynogrip, Mirka and Abranet). I'm really glad I stumbled across Saw Mill Creek! Thank you very much!

I used to use the Mirka Gold and was happy with it, then I switched to Festool when I bought a Festool sander. The other day I bought a pack of the Norton 3x in a coarse grit since a Festool dealer wasn't convenient and I just needed a little. It worked great too, even with little dust collection since the holes didn't line up. I sanded the finish off two sides of a 25x72 bench top and the second disc still has lots of life left.