Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 3/8" holes without a drill press?

the freud forstner bit worked out well with a hand drill. My concern that the bit would tend to walk on me was pretty well alleviated. I would feel pretty comfortable making a jig out of wood for it for the doors I am doing.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As a related note, most Euro hinges require a 35mm bore...be sure to use the correct size for a snug fit.
    35 mm is so close to 1-3/8" that it isn't worth the extra cost for the 35 mm bit. The difference in diameter is only.0029", which should be plenty close for wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

the difference between the 1 3/8" and 35 is just enough to make the hole snug where i can push it in with my hand and it holds it tight while I am mounting them.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    35 mm is so close to 1-3/8" that it isn't worth the extra cost for the 35 mm bit. The difference in diameter is only.0029", which should be plenty close for wood.
    3 mil might be the difference but a little runout on the DP, or an unsteady hand, or worn bits or bits with a wide tolerance can change that number.

However, overall, I agree. In a pinch or if you don't feel like it, the 1.375" forstner bit will work fine. I happen to have standard and metric of just about everything because I got tired of dealing with some of the minute differences that turned out to be not-so-minute at times....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    3 mil might be the difference but a little runout on the DP, or an unsteady hand, or worn bits or bits with a wide tolerance can change that number.
    Wouldn't the same problems exist with a 35 mm bit? A worn 1.375 would most likely be undersize which would make it even closer to 35 mm. Most likely the tolerance on the cups isn't held closer than +/-.005 which would be fairly tight for mass production tolerances.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Correct me if I'm wrong but...
    1" = 25.4 mm
    3/8" = 9.525 mm

1-3/8" = 34.925 mm....
    It looks like 1-3/8" is smaller than 35 mm....

I have a drill press but sometimes, the door is too big to be supported on the DP table so I'm using Drill-stand

Regards
    niki

Quote Originally Posted by William OConnell View Post
    Ive done alot of them with a good cordless and the bit. It works fine. Thats it no jig necessary.
    I did 28 doors in my kitchen that way too. I had all intentions of using the scrap wood jig I was going to make... but never got 'round to the building the jig part.
    If you can drill a straight hole all ya need to do is control the depth which isn't tough either.

Greg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissim Avrahami View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but...
    1" = 25.4 mm
    3/8" = 9.525 mm

1-3/8" = 34.925 mm....
    It looks like 1-3/8" is smaller than 35 mm....
    You are quite correct, I forgot that I converted mm to inches not the other way around. 35 mm = 1.3779 inches. so 1-3/8 is about .003 smaller.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You are quite correct, I forgot that I converted mm to inches not the other way around. 35 mm = 1.3779 inches. so 1-3/8 is about .003 smaller.
    No problem Lee

If I had $1 for every mistake that I made, I would not post in this forum but in the "Millionaires" forum (if there is such a thing)

Regards
    niki

Use 1 3/8" forstner ..they work fine for euro hinges ...If you are so concerned run a few holes in scrap to make sure..