Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logosol Log Turner

Logosol Log Turner

I have a Logosol mill. I have a lot of HUGE logs sitting in yard - each about 12 foot long and at least 12" diameter. I need to move them to my mill now and have been researching cants and peaveys - and I also came across this Logosol Log Turner, which looked intriguing:

http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/acc...log_turner.php

My question is, has anyone seen this? Tried this? And what are your thoughts and ideas?

I don't have to move the logs far, really. It's just that they are very heavy and its just me.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a Woodmizer without hydraulics and thus have to load and turn my logs manually.

By far the best deals on log handling tools are found at http://www.logrite.com/

YUP - I have seen those, too! I actually gave the idea in another thread about building something like that (if money was tight) using hardwood and few items you can buy at Harbor Freight... like the wheels...

I had seen this device in the Baileys catalog.

Thanks!

My dad has a similar simpler cheaper version he got from Bailey's that does essentially the same thing and works well for raising medium sized logs of the ground far enough to cut them to length. I'm not sure how that would help you place 12" X 12' logs on the mill for sawing, but it might help you spin them once on the mill to make your square cuts to get things started. Those things give you a surprising amount of leverage.

Oh, and 12" diameter is not huge IMHO! Merely heavy.

PS..my dad puts his logs on a trailer with the bucket of a 40HP john deer, not the log roller.

thats funny - not HUGE to lumberjacks! But too huge to pick up!! and I've been staring at them all winter!

I use the front end loader on my John Deere. 36" logs are huge in my neck of the woods. It is all relative I guess.
    David B

I use a Peavey. They call it a "Timberjack" now a days
    http://tinyurl.com/4u5mfc
    It's a logger's cant hook and pole which is a log roller and a gizmo that lets me raise the log and prop it up for sawing too. It allows me to grab a log and haul on the pole rolling the log and if I roll it all the way it'll bump it up on the sheet metal stand and serve as a bucking support for sawing.

I got mine for less than $50.00 from the Peavey Mfg Co in Eddington Maine
    http://tinyurl.com/4qz7mb

If you are just looking to move them to the mill for a 12" log about any kind of cant hook will work OK. I'm not familiar with a Logosol and don't know what it will take to position them for cutting; i.e. how high they have to go.

The easiest way to move a log on the ground, other than a piece of equipment like a Bobcat or fork lift, is a winch, either manual or electric. You just have to have a place to anchor it.
    And now for something completely different....

Ill second the peavey brand for a great value. It is very robust and well made. I purchased mine at my local Ace Hardware off the shelf for I think $48. You can also remove the jack portion. The Logrite is a little pricey for hobby use. But for anything more serious than a hobby they cant be beat.

James

Dennis,
    Have you considered something like an engine hoist?

Engine hoist sounds like a good idea - although I haven't researched pricing...

My Mill actually requires that I lift the log ONTO it... about 2 feet up. I will have to roll the log across the yard. Not very far really. I will probably build some sort of ramp to get it onto the mill - or maybe just stack the wood in front of it...

I'm a hobbyist (for now) and may try selling a few things locally... if it takes off, well then I start ramping up my equipment and I'll get one of those big ol' claw thingies!! Until then, I will have to put my back into it.

Dennis,
    I don't know if they are any good but Harbor Freight carries them for under $200 for a 2 ton lift...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35915 . You'll probably want to ask others if these are any good since HF stuff can be hit or miss in terms of quality/reliability.

FYI-I also see that Amazon has 2 ton engine hoists (also known as chery pickers) starting at $100. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...s=engine+hoist

Good luck with your project,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 05-22-2008 at 10:51 AM.

I was thinking about this (and HF is great for these types of non-acurate tools)... I started thinking about the balancing though - unless I got 2... hmmmm

anyway - lots of great input guys - thanks!!

It seems that you all are thinking of ideas along the same lines as I was... so that confirms that I probably know enough to now make an educated decision.

Thanks again.

I use a winch mounted on the rear of a Allis WD. Run the cable out and around the log and back to the tractor or another stationary point and just real it in. I also often times just use an old cant hook. I have ramps on the loading side of the mill which helps also.

There's no need to worry about the "balancing". Depending on the log length wrap a chain a couple or three feet to one side of the midpoint and the other end the same distance on the other side. Or two short chains and another to tie them together.
    And now for something completely different....