Thread: New review of Tormek T7

New review of Tormek T7

In the past we've had friendly debates about the best system for sharpening turning tools. (I've still got some scars from the last debate.) I'm in the minority that prefers using a slow speed, water cooled, grinder, like the Tormek. Tormek's patents expired a while ago and there are now a handful of clones available. Recently, a member of a UK woodworkers forum bought and returned two of the newer clones before buying and keeping a Tormek T7. He wrote up his experience in the form of a review that you might find interesting.

Here's how to find the review (I don't want to post a link for fear of running a foul of the terms of use): Go to ukworkshop.co.uk and click on the "Fourms" link at the top of the page. From there, use the search function to search for "Tormek" in the "Buying Advice/Tool Review" forum. The review should be one of the first in the list that comes up under the title of "ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23560&start=0&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=tormek++review"]Tormek T-7 review (versus Scheppach versions)".

Hope you find it interesting. Please note, in the discussion that follows the review two points are made that I disagree with. The first is that someone says you shouldn't flatten the back of a chisel on the side of the grinding wheel. That's probably an unsafe practice with a high speed grinder, but I don't think it's a problem with the Tormek's wheel that's spinning at about 100 rpm. The other point I disagree with is the poster who said you can't hone and edge on a leather wheel (you'll round over the sharpened edge). Again, my leather wheel produces outstanding results -- particularly if I don't hone freehand! With the new turning tool jigs, setting up the proper bevel angle (on the grinding wheel or the leather honing wheel) only takes 5 - 10 seconds. So there's no need to take my bowl gouge out of the jig for honing.

All the standard disclaimers apply: I've no financial interest in Tormek, just a satisfied customer, etc. I could never get my tools as consistently sharp with a consistent shape and bevel as I can with my Tormek. YMMV.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-06-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Which Sharpening System is Best?

I have both a Jet and a Harbor Freight knockoff of a Scheppach. My Tormek bit the dust a while back but I wish I had it do a head to head comparison of these machines.

First thing I noticed is that the support bars for the HF machine do not fit the Jet or Tormek. Since this is a knockoff of an S machine, perhaps that means the S bars also are different in size.

The Tormek and Jet jigs I have fit all three machines. A couple of issues I have had with the Jet is a slow turn on. I'll put the switch on and nothing happens, then several seconds later the wheels start spinning, not sure what is causing this.

As I remember the Tormek turned on immediately and kept on running. The HF machine runs quite well but the honing wheel has a side to side wobble in it. I have to look in to this to see if the wheel is crooked or the washer may be bent.

From a pricing perspective the HF was on sale for $89 and I had a 15% off coupon. The Jet sold for $299 while the Tormek 2006 is still available from Highland for $399.

I find the jigs from Tormek, which are cast rather than stamped, to hold tighter in place. I like the fact that it does not have the plugs in the jigs like Jet and HF do. These fall out at the most inopportune times. I glued them in place and now seem to stay in place.

Operationally the Jet and HF seem to work just fine once I get them going. I have sharpened several chisels and plane blades on both and they are sharp as I need them to be.

Wish my Tormek were still around, so I do a real head to head test.....If I find one, I'll post the results here.

Take care all....

I don't like to use the side of the Tormek wheel for flattening chisel backs. It's way to easy to rock the chisel, putting a very large gouge on the back. It's easier and safer to use a decent stone. The Shapton diamond lapping plate with put a serious flat on the back of any chisel quickly.

Blog Entries

i vote for tormex

the thing that helped me the most. #2 glasser screw chuck.no i would have to changethat to .#1linda,#2 tormex.

I bought a knock off

I bought a knock off that was green in color. Sorry that I did. I had to return it and that is the only item out of $6000. that I have spent that I have had to return to the company and they were very good about taking it back. Not a complaint about the company just the knock off of the Tormek 7.

I did not like the knock off because the jigs were totally worthless. They did not fit on the machine. The chisel jig was too small for the length of chisel which were standard Stanley Brand. One of the jigs would not assemble, and another just did not allow the tool to touch the stone. With a full water tray the stone would spash water everywhere.

The worst problem was the stone spindle was threaded wrong. The stone constantly unscrewed itself from the machine. Nothing seemed to work to hold it on. When the stone gets saturated it needs some holding power on that spindle.

I bought in exchange a WorkSharp 3000, one of the sets of paper laminated wheels for my bench grinder and some water stones. I can sharpen everything I have except the scissors. So sharp in fact I have cut myself a couple of times and didn't know it until I saw the blood on the wood.

I am sure the Tormek 7 is a far cry better than the knock off. Just beware of buying knock off sharpening tools -- at least green ones.

Tormek user

Well, my decision to buy a Tormek, and I am NOT sorry I did, was that the cost was not that much more than buying a high quality slow speed 8" grinder, $250, a gouge jig, $150, a skew chisel jig, $50. Oh, and you'd have to also buy at least 1 new high grit stone, $35. A GOOD tool rest, $75. Running about 500 bucks already. Being a NON pro woodturner, the ability to sharpen a gouge was the kicker. I would have to admit that all of the discussions on this forum was a part of my decision. I could not see any other device that could sharpen a gouge with repeatability as well as the Tormek. The grind is super, and it seems to stay sharp long enough for me. Not to mention that it keeps all my turning tools sharper than I could have ever imagined. I used to think that I could hand hone the chisels razor sharp, but the Tormek gets them sharper than I could by hand. No, it's not as fast as a dry grinder, but it's a lot faster and more consistent than by hand. Don't get me wrong, I still want to get a cheap dry grinder for other purposes, but the Tormek is definetely the way to go if you need to sharpen gouges.

Now you have to add the benefit that you can sharpen ALL of your kitchen knives, and make the boss happy..... The wife is now so spoiled with sharp kinves, that she complains all the time when they get the slightest bit dull. I even offer to sharpen all of my friends' knives.

Botom line, if you need to sharpen gouges, and want to buy the grinder gouge jigs, and are starting from scratch, (no grinder yet) consider paying a couple hundred more to get the Tormek, I'm SURE you won't regret it. It really isn't that great if all you want to sharpen is flat chisels. Any stone can do that. Or sandpaper and a table saw or jointer bed. Most of the complaints seem to be from the flat group. There are cheaper faster alternates for flat stuff.

Oh, sorry for being so long.... I really do like the Tormek.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Well, my decision to buy a Tormek, and I am NOT sorry I did, was that the cost was not that much more than buying a high quality slow speed 8" grinder, $250, a gouge jig, $150, a skew chisel jig, $50. Oh, and you'd have to also buy at least 1 new high grit stone, $35. A GOOD tool rest, $75. Running about 500 bucks already. Being a NON pro woodturner, the ability to sharpen a gouge was the kicker. I would have to admit that all of the discussions on this forum was a part of my decision. I could not see any other device that could sharpen a gouge with repeatability as well as the Tormek. The grind is super, and it seems to stay sharp long enough for me. Not to mention that it keeps all my turning tools sharper than I could have ever imagined. I used to think that I could hand hone the chisels razor sharp, but the Tormek gets them sharper than I could by hand. No, it's not as fast as a dry grinder, but it's a lot faster and more consistent than by hand. Don't get me wrong, I still want to get a cheap dry grinder for other purposes, but the Tormek is definetely the way to go if you need to sharpen gouges.

Now you have to add the benefit that you can sharpen ALL of your kitchen knives, and make the boss happy..... The wife is now so spoiled with sharp kinves, that she complains all the time when they get the slightest bit dull. I even offer to sharpen all of my friends' knives.

Botom line, if you need to sharpen gouges, and want to buy the grinder gouge jigs, and are starting from scratch, (no grinder yet) consider paying a couple hundred more to get the Tormek, I'm SURE you won't regret it. It really isn't that great if all you want to sharpen is flat chisels. Any stone can do that. Or sandpaper and a table saw or jointer bed. Most of the complaints seem to be from the flat group. There are cheaper faster alternates for flat stuff.

Oh, sorry for being so long.... I really do like the Tormek.
    Well said. I absolutely love the decision I made to bite the bullet and get one. Its also amazing how long my tools stay sharp too.

Oh, I see its your first post. Welcome to forum.

Welcome Kyle to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. I to haven't regretted getting the Tormek. The edge I get seems to last a lot longer than off the grinder at least in my opinion. So I use the grinder if I want to change a profile then go to the Tormek to finish it.

Also the fact that I can sharpen the LOML's kitchen knives and all her scissors she uses in her craft work is a big plus and made the sale easier.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.