Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray Booth Turn Table

Spray Booth Turn Table

I've seen a turn table for spray booths in the past but I am currently having trouble finding them searching on google. I'm wanting to make one out of 5' x 5' baltic birch so that I can put large projects in my spray booth and be able to turn them during spraying.

Can someone point me to some pics somewhere on the internet so that I can get some ideas before building?

Thanks

I would suggest that you get the largest lazy susan bearings you can find (I found a 10 inch bearing at Lee Valley), and attach whatever top you want to it, and whateve base you want to use. Some will suggest that you attach a slight lip (strip of ply) to the edge of your top to "catch" any spray that might be headed toward your lazy susan bearings.

I don't have any pictures of mine, but it is nothing to look at. I think mine ended up being something like 2 x 3 feet. If I have something with wider legs to spray, i will put some scrap ply/OSB/MDF on top of my existing lazy susan. If I felt it was a bit unstable, it would be easy enough to screw it down.

Oh, the whole thing sits on top of some home made saw horses. I use some F clamps to give the thing some rigidity.

It ain't pretty, but I have been able to spray my kitchen cabinets pieces, as well as a few smaller tables easily.

I used to use a friend's spray booth and always thought a revolving platform would be a terrific addition.

As Rob says, get the biggest lazy susan mechanism you can find; if your platform is going to be big it might help prevent sagging to have a smaller piece of ply on top of the bearings, say something halfway between the bearing diameter and the size of your platform.

As mentioned, a large, "lazy Susan" bearing set will get you started. If you need bigger, use that for the middle, and use some fully swiveling casters farther out to the edge after raising the middle section up to accommodate them. Obviously this would require two layers and add a bit of weight, but it depends upon what kind of weight you need to support during your finishing process. You'll also want some form of adjustable height support under the revolving platform so you can accommodate different size projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I saw a shop tip not long ago in one of the WW mags. A guy had salvaged the base from an old office chair with the casters and pneumatic cylinder still in good shape. He mounted a piece of plywood to the top of it and had a mobile turn table that had a height adjustment to it.
    This may not fit your application, but it's still a humdinger of an idea.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

I use a large lazy susan for my booth. I have 2 or 3 so I can spray mulitple items at once. If you want to get really large (5') I'd probably go with casters and put it on the floor.

Used store fixtures

Check places that sell new and used store fixtures. Lots of displays have a rotating base and can be modified. Quitting business sales are another possibility, small display fixtures are practically given away.

UHMW strips strategically placed between two sheets of plywood of your chosen size with a single center fastening point will do the trick.

Even better, invert a piece of Melamine with the smooth side toward the the UHMW and it will glide along nicely. MDF works, too.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Three items not mentioned in all the replies -

1. Lazy susan is generally a standard hardware item, - Ace or otherwise; woodworking stores will be a premium expense, and maybe even not needed at all (see 3 below).

2. One mention is made of using an old chair air riser - having visited commercial furniture manuf., I saw their professional tables were on a true pneumatic air assembly, probably prohibitive for a home shop. But, a method to adjust the height up and down is generally pretty essential for lighting, reflection, and full vision of the workpiece.

3, Forgo the lazy susan part completely and use bolt with bushing spacer in between center of two circles cut out of sheet of plywood (usually 1/2" will suffice) and small castors or even ball bearing mounts between outer edges of the circle (disks) of plywood.

I think it was Dredsner that showed the one he uses. He connects a piece of pipe to a set of legs, then a slightly thinner piece of pipe to a round top. Slide the top pipe inside the lower one and you have lazy susan that you can take apart and store flat. A couple different lengths of pipe and it's also height adjustable. I plan on building one every time I spray, but haven't yet .
    Jay St. Peter

You can make your own jumbo size lazy suzan using ball transfers.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Good idea, Josh. A routed circular channel in the bottom piece can serve as the "track" and a bolt with a nylon insert nut as the pivot point will keep things from falling apart. Any size you need is possible!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lottsa ways to skin this cat! One could use scrap hardwood in place of the UHMW for my idea.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter View Post
    I think it was Dredsner that showed the one he uses. He connects a piece of pipe to a set of legs, then a slightly thinner piece of pipe to a round top. Slide the top pipe inside the lower one and you have lazy susan that you can take apart and store flat. A couple different lengths of pipe and it's also height adjustable. I plan on building one every time I spray, but haven't yet .
    The easiest way is definitely Dresdner's idea... I used a pipe floor flange and 24" section of 1.5" pipe, which fits nicely inside a 2" pipe and another floor flange. Each flange is connected to a 36" piece of ply. When you slide them together, TA DA! Big Lazy Susan turntable.

And when you're done, you can unscrew the pipes from the flanges and store it real easy.
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

I have one I made out of an old round table top. Bought a lazy susan bearing from Rockler a while back, made a quickie base out of some plywood strips, works fine, has umpteen coats of paint on it by now, makes spraying things like chairs much easier, and I store it in the attic when I don't need it. You could make the top out of anything, but round is probably the best shape for pushing it so it moves. Half the time I nudge it with my foot while I am holding the gun.