Thread: Ryobi BT3000 TS worth a new motor?

Ryobi BT3000 TS worth a new motor?

Greetings, Creekers,

I have an old Ryobi BT3000 table saw/router table combo unit. Its virtues are light weight, mobility and amortized cost. The TS motor armature shorted out and is toast. Two questions:

1. What would be the max one should invest in a light-duty unit like this?
    2. Anyone out there in Sawmill Creek have a Ryobi motor or amature with which he would part?

thnx, jack vines

Jack - I had one of those for almost 20-years. Your best bet would be to visit bt3central.com .

(FYI -it's a pretty big pain to c/o the motor on this saw)

Mike

First, are you sure the motor is toast, and not just in need of new brushes?

Second, how much does a new motor cost? I think I'd start there, rather than setting a limit first.

Third, do you have complaints about the saw? Were you itching to upgrade anyhow?

Anyway, to answer your question, if you like the saw, think it will last a good while longer if you invest in its upkeep, and the motor can be had for $75 or less, it might be a good plan. I'd look for a doner saw, as those might cost less than motors.

If you do decide to go with a new saw, what are your thoughts so far? Sticking with a collapsible saw? Definitely consider the Ridgid TS2400. It is fantastic. The new Bosches (4100?) are also getting good marks and the riving knife is probably a bit nicer than the splitter on the Ridgid.

If you'll be going with a contractors saw (Holy footprint Batman!) or cabinet/hybrid saw, there are many other threads on those here.

I'll be interested to hear what you end up doing.

Jack, Where are you located? I have a BT3000 that has sat unused in storage since the arrival of my Sawstop a couple of years ago. I would be willing to give it to you if you are close enough to Dallas for that to be worthwhile. For the price, the BT3000 is a great little saw. Sliding miter table and a true riving knife!

If you really want to stay in the BT3x00 world, I'd look on Craigslist for a used BT3100, and then cannibalize your 3000 for parts. In the Denver area, one turns up occasionally for around $150-200. The 3100 doesn't have the shim issue, and has a slightly different stand, but otherwise is identical but for color. You could use any accessories, like the router table, from the 3000 with the 3100, and could use other parts like the rails to give yoursefl expanded rip capacity. Alternatively, part out the bt3000, and use the money to buy a used bt3100 (if you have a lot of jigs, accessories, or just prefer the saw) or a contractor/cabinet saw.

6. What a generous offer!. If I was closer to Garland, I'd be volunteering to help you clean out your storage area.

I own the BT3100 and like it a lot. The Armature is $150 and the outer winding (field assembly) would be $37.50, but it's out of stock. I would look to Craigslist as others have suggested for a replacement.
    Last edited by Harvey Miller; 10-14-2012 at 9:35 AM.

Jack, go to Ebay and type in BT3xxx parts and you will probably find the motor or other parts you need there. There is a regular seller on EBay, goes by Jcherry, he has a lot of
    replacement parts for the saws and he is reasonable on his prices. I have bought from him in the past and he is reliable and dependable. Jim