Thread: Large Pantry finishing

Large Pantry finishing

Ok, so this summer I'm rebuilding some large floor to ceiling pantry cabinets. It runs along the entire wall ~8ft high x ~6ft long x 15 inches deep. I'm planning on finishing the doors & frame with some poly for the protection. For the shelving and interior should I avoid poly due to it 'gassing' out? Or would this be big enough that it wouldn't bother compared to a tighter fitting & smaller drawer?

If oil poly is a bad idea..do you guys have any suggestions? Water based poly? I'd like to have something pretty tough as they will be used and banged around (at least the shelving portion).

Polyurethane varnish isn't any more "tough" or "durable" than an alkyd or phenolic resin varnish in the general scope of things and don't let a retailer tell you that it is. It has a little more abrasion resistance (because it was designed for floors) but otherwise is "just varnish". There are some (professional) conversion products that will provide a more durable finish, but they require spray finishing in an appropriate environment. For that reason, they are typically only factory finishes or applied by pros with the right setup.

I do suggest you avoid an oil based finish on the interior...use shellac, water borne or lacquer. No reason to tempt the "off gassing" gods...IMHO, at least.

As an alternative to the oil varnish on the exterior, you can use a water borne product, but if you are "matching" other existing cabinetry, you'll need to be careful with your choice because different finishes do impart different color and other characteristics to the wood. There are some water bornes that have more of the look that an oil varnish has (Target Coatings Hybrivar, for example) and you do have the option of tinting with a compatible (water soluble) dye. But be aware that many water borne finishes prefer to be sprayed. That's easy for doors but may be more complicated if that pantry cabinet isn't going to be in your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't use paint....

Line the bottom shelves with Formica,(plastic laminate), or a rubber liner. No cabinet takes abuse quite like the pantry.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I second the formica recommendation. Our pantry cabinets take a lot of abuse and spilled food. You'd be surprised the damage potato chips or cheetos or spilled coke can do over a long period of time.

We have melamine coated interiors and they sweep out, sponge down, and wipe up like a champ.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd like to do something like formica, but I'm trying to match some other cabinetry in the house- which has oak shelving.