Thread: Folding Spray Booth Ideas?

Folding Spray Booth Ideas?

I am getting tired of spraying outside on the driveway. Has any used or seen ideas for a folding spray booth? I would need maybe 10 by 16 or larger. I was thinking that maybe I could buy a large tent and put a fan in one wall and filters in the another wall? I would be using water based finish, and mainly looking to keep bugs and other stuff off the work when the finish is wet. Ideas???? thanks..joe

I use zipwalls. Check out zipwall.com.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I am getting tired of spraying outside on the driveway. Has any used or seen ideas for a folding spray booth? I would need maybe 10 by 16 or larger. I was thinking that maybe I could buy a large tent and put a fan in one wall and filters in the another wall? I would be using water based finish, and mainly looking to keep bugs and other stuff off the work when the finish is wet. Ideas???? thanks..joe
    Joe,

I spray waterborne coatings exclusively. This link takes you to several posts at my blog, and includes several posts on the spray booth I created using foam sheets. You might be able to use some of my ideas.

Please make sure to share with us what you end using.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Search in this forum for spray booths. I remember a year or so ago, someone had a really cool one that was made using that silver sheathing, about an 1/8" thick, used on walls and then put together with velcro.

I don't recall if it had any fan consideration though.

HTH

Jeff Jewitt has one in his book: basically 3 sheets of plywood hinged together with a simple fan in the center panel.

I keep large cardboard boxes from purchases (fridges, TVs, etc.) and prop those up as needed.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Summers View Post
    Search in this forum for spray booths. I remember a year or so ago, someone had a really cool one that was made using that silver sheathing, about an 1/8" thick, used on walls and then put together with velcro.

I don't recall if it had any fan consideration though.

HTH
    Wow, no sooner than I submitted a reply, Al posted it. Very neat.

I"ll keep searching. Lots of ideas for break down spray booths that will pull overspray away, but none so far that will keep dust from the fresh finish. I really like one from a video on Fine Woodworking website that used side walls, a top, and a fan to blow the overspray out from under the garage door. The issue with that is my shop is full of dust, wood rack dust, popcorn ceiling dust, etc. The last thing I need is to create a laminar flow of dusty air from the shop over the top of my work. A three sided and top configuration outside only solves the overspray problem. Here is AZ, I get a lot of airborn dust, and the insects love my fresh finish. I really need a portable room with exhaust. I'm going to look closer at a cheap camp tent. Put filters in one wall, and a fan in the other.

FWIW, you can get nice full 4'x8' sheets of corrugated cardboard with no folds/seams from any good packaging store.

Mine is currently stacked flat and hanging from my shed rafters by bungee cords so I cant take pics. It's 3 sides plus a top panel made of 1x3's in a rectangular frame and X's across the diagonals then wrapped with heavy clear visqueen and stapled to the frames. The top frame has a longer drop down piece of visqueen to act as a door. The whole thing goes together with 8 or so drywall screws. No fan provisions but I suppose it wouldn't be hard to put additional framing on one side at floor level to butt a fan up against the opening. I like the visqueen rather than solid sides as it lets light through . I get enough light thru the top/sides that I dont need as much extra shining in from the front.
    Use the fence Luke

I really need a portable room with exhaust. I'm going to look closer at a cheap camp tent. Put filters in one wall, and a fan in the other.
    That looks like an interesting idea. Quick to set up, easy to store, and sealable from bugs. Put a faceplate with velcro on the fan and the filter, and put matching velcro on holes you've cut in the walls.

How portable?

Would a small enclosed trailer work? you would have to cut the ventilation in ( and be darn careful to protect your self from fire risks ), but that may help with the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    How portable?

Would a small enclosed trailer work? you would have to cut the ventilation in ( and be darn careful to protect your self from fire risks ), but that may help with the dust.
    Hmm, that's a really interesting idea. My neighborhood has a secure storage area for trailers, boats, campers. It's more money than I would like to spend, but maybe I can get a deal on a "not so roadworthy" trailer. I still think I'll try the tent idea, at most I'd waste $50 or so. Maybe I can get one at Goodwill or maybe Harbor Frieght

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...n=Custom&ID=88

Google "portable spray booth" for a lot of interesting ideas.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.