Thread: Drawer pulls

Drawer pulls

I am looking for some ideas for some drawer pulls for the tool boxes that will be put under my bench on the lower streachers. I would like somthing I can make. as I don't want to spend any more on this bench than I have allready on vices and hold fasts. I think I am getting up to $40 on this bench and that is to much for a bottom feeder. I am attaching a couple pictures of the drawer boxes if that helps. the secocand picture shows some detail of the drawers them selves they have a bead on the bottom and some ogee? type round over at the top of each drawer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

pull

I would take some thin stock....say 1/4 inch thick. Rip it to ~1 inch wide (you'll have to decide how far out the pull needs to be) and then crosscut into 1-2 inch lengths. Mortise a shallow groove into the fronts and glue the pulls in. Use a contrasting wood....something dark (so the dirt and such doesn't readlily standout after months/years of use).

simple is to use 1x1x1 cubes/blocks and just glue'm.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Hey Ernie, how have you been?

This wouldn’t be very pretty but, do you have any light duty chain around? The kind that you use to hang florescent light fixtures with? You could take a 5”or 6” length of it and just screw each end directly on the drawer front. Hey - you said you wanted cheap!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Tim's idea is good. I was going to do something similar on mine, except that I was planning to give the pulls a triangular shape (flaring away from the drawer face), with a tenon that glued into the drawer. But I got lazy when I found some pre-made round pulls in my local wood store that were only about 15 cents each. See below...
    Attached Images Attached Images

On a set of shop drawers that I made some time ago, I tool a thin strip of scrap leather, about 2" long or so, and essentially square in section, drilled two holes, about 1 1/4" apart, and glued the ends in, so that there is a loop of leather on the drawer fron which is easy to grab, and feels nice in the hand. Just a thought, if you have a bit of scrap leather hanging around.