Thread: The hollowing tool turmoil

The hollowing tool turmoil

I am seeking advice from those Turners who have used both the Termite Hollowing Tool and the Hunter Hollowing Tool. I have never used either and both have been recommended in the past. Although they are different, they seem to work in similar ways. The Hollowing tool mystique seems to rage on and on. I know there must be 30-40 different Tools out there and even more enhanced systems to do Hollowing. It is confusing to a novice wanting to try a dedicated Hollowing Tool. Since I have never used any Hollowing tool, I thought maybe those of you that have used one or the other, would chime in on your personal experience, and ease of use. Thanks.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Ken, I have and use the termite fairly often. It is a great tool that can take a lot of wood out of a piece in a hurry. At the same time, a really nice smoothing cut can be made so that your interior surface is a good bit smoother than what one normally gets with traditional "scraper" type hollowing tools. The one draw back to me is the sharpening. Oneway claims that the only way to do it properly is to mount the included stone in a router. They say that a drill press is too slow. Consequently, I have not sharpened as often as I should and I'm not getting the performance from it that I did when the tool was new.

Haven't used the Hunter but have heard many good reviews from those who have. I have, though, used a tool that Craig Jackson is developing. It has a square shaft for stability and a round, carbide cutter blade (just like the Hunter), that is mounted on an angle. No need to hold the tool at an angle. Just keep the square shaft flat on the tool rest, held level to the ways, and go to it. I understand he is still in beta testing, but should have it in production soon. My experience with the prototype was very positive. Long ribbons came flying off the tool. The cut was 220 grit smooth. It made hollowing a knotty piece of cherry burl that was bone dry a load of fun.

Regardless of what you end up with, learn the tool and have fun with it. There are several ways of doing everything we do. Find what works best for you and you'll be steps ahead.

Hi Ken - I'm a newbie and haven't used either tool but have read all the threads here on both tools and there are many good comments.

I was just as confused by all the choices and just ordered the deep hollowing tool from Lamar Sherrill who is a member here on the Sawmill. It's currently on sale and you get alot of tool for the money.

But like Doug mentioned get one and learn to use it and have fun, it won't be the last tool you'll buy.

HTH - Fred

Ken I have both the termite and hunter tool. What I have found is both will give you a smooth finish. The hunter I have found will let you start sanding at a higher grit like 220. You don't have to sharpen this tool. You just turn the cutter slightly and you have a sharp edge. When dull put a new cutter on. Each cutter will do a lot of bowls. The termite tool to me will allow you to hog more wood faster but still will give a fairly smooth finish with sanding starting at 150. It is easy to sharpen with a router. Depending on what lathe you have I have Randy's articulating arm hollowing unit. It will do HF's 10" or so and is a pleasure to use.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I will second the articulated hollowing systems. I have the Monster. It isn't made for deep forms, but is very easy to use. Works well for boxes as well. I have the Eliminator which has a carbide disc on a shaft that has two 45 degree bevels so the cutter stays at either 45 right, or 45 left. It is fairly easy to get a 220 grit surface with it.
    robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    ...I have the Eliminator which has a carbide disc on a shaft that has two 45 degree bevels so the cutter stays at either 45 right, or 45 left....
    You can see Don Leman using the Eliminator in the last half of the video at http://woodtreks.com/how-to-turn-segmented-objects/37/ .

Cary

Thanks to all for the info. I started by narrowing my en pending purchase to the Termite or Hunter tool. Now I have added the Eliminator to the mix. Am I going backwards? Oh, well..... I will keep digging and keep an open mind to any others wanting to add to the mix. The articulating systems sound really great, with the exception of the price. I don't think I am ready to spend $450.00 on a system yet? Maybe, after some use with an individual Hollowing tool?
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.