Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Backorders

Grizzly Backorders

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Grizzly and backorders? I had ordered a set of planer blades and waited over 2 months for them to ship. Then, the motor died on my 12 1/2" portable planer, and when I received my replacement, the arbor for the roller drive was different. I placed the order for the compatible sprocket and was told it was backordered until May 6 (a week away)..... Well, here it is May 24th, and still no word on it.

Fortunately, this is not a "mission critical" piece of equipment to my business, but as my work load is increasing, I'm wondering if I need to rethink my equipment vendors and suppliers, because I could never go this long without a planer and stay profitable or competitive.

Anyone else?

Yes... I have a 2 month long backorder with Grizzly that is still open. I have a G0457 bandsaw and want to be able to use the fence on the right side of the blade. I ordered a second fence rail and will mount it on the back side of the table. Grizzly sent me a post card yesterday explaining the delay will be longer and asking if I wanted to cancel or keep my order open.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Papa Griz came onto another board and said that there would be no summer sale this year. Cast iron and shipping prices are eating into them, and they are trying to avoid passing it on. However it looks like next year (at the current rate), prices will be dramatically different.

A lot of different companies are having backorder issues, due in a large part, to the above.

A big part of this is (I think) changes in the currency exchange rate. The value of the dollar is waaaay down, and for the first time the Chinese are letting their currency float, so it is worth more. Double whammy.

-TH

Well......... I was told my part would ship on May 6th..... and here it is June 13 and I just got a notice saying my part was STILL on backorder.

Sadly to say, I have some purchases upcoming, and in light of potentially having equipment down and apparently no delivery from Grizzly, I'm going to have to rethink my supplier of choice. My shop and my workload is growing, and I cannot afford to be without a piece of equipment for such a long time.

Blog Entries
    I have had excellent response from Grizzly when contacting them by phone. Call them up and get a straight answer. I am big on setting expectations. This sometimes doesn't set well with others at work. They want to tell the client "what they want to hear". I always tell the client the truth. They may not like the truth but, at least they know what to expect. Give 'em a call.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Finally received my part from Grizzly this week, only 2 months and 6 days after the CSR promised me it would ship.

I'm not a big fan of Grizzly, though in the past when I needed parts for the machinery that broke down too easily and pre-maturely, it was in stock and shipped quickly.
    I've since given up on them for equipment so haven't ordered anything recently. But I can say I've gotten a handful of parts for Delta and Powermatic quickly and easily. I wanted a 1-1/4" spindle for my 27 shaper and it arrived within a week. Unfortunately the pulley had been damaged (surprisingly since it seemed fairly well packed) but they got a new one to me in several days. Picked up some bearings and a new arbor nut for my Unisaw about a year ago and that also arrived quickly with no problems.
    I make a living with my equipment so it's important for it to be running. If something breaks down in the middle of a job, I'm losing money. I certainly can't wait for backordered parts. The thing that surprises me is that Grizzly was always very good about parts, it's one of their selling points. I wonder if this is becoming more common or if it was just a bump in the road for them?
    JeffD

I get the impression Grizzly had a bump in the road a few months back. I recently ordered a bandsaw and some pneumatic staplers and they all showed up within a few days.

Consider when I was shopping for a bandsaw, the backorder issue included many brands. I talked at length with my local Woodcraft. Whatever saw I wanted, they couldn't tell me when it would be in, but it would be awhile. It was the same for JET, Steel City, Powermatic and Rikon. If it wasn't on the floor, there was no telling when I'd get it.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago Woodcraft had some more machines on the floor. Before that, their stock was mighty lean. I think whatever logjam was in place is finally starting to clear.

I recently ordered the ultimate 14" bandsaw from Grizzly on a thursday afternoon. The saw was on the delivery truck friday morning and delivered to the local shipping company on friday afternoon. You can't ask for more than that.

Doug Rogers

I've got a few minor parts on backorder.

Understandable that they cannot stock everything.

Jet Tools had some of the Grizzly product impounded by customs over a dispute about them using the color white on their Woodstock product line, wondering if that might have caused the delay some of you are experiencing.

http://woodshopnews.com/ME2/dirmod.a...5AF7707B685087

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bensema View Post
    Jet Tools had some of the Grizzly product impounded by customs over a dispute about them using the color white on their Woodstock product line, wondering if that might have caused the delay some of you are experiencing.

http://woodshopnews.com/ME2/dirmod.a...5AF7707B685087

Looks like a train wreck

In other news: Ford sues General Motors over white pickup trucks.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Sounds to me like JET has the worse case of sour grapes in human history. I guess it's easier to attack the competition and keep them tied up in litigation rather that manufacturing good products and selling them at competitive prices. That's just way too hard.

I should write JET a letter telling them what morons I think they are. Of course, I'd have to use goldenrod stationary, lest they sue me for using white paper.