Thread: jet 1642 vs nova 1624

jet 1642 vs nova 1624

How do these two lathes compare with each other? Is the jet a better buy or the nova? Right now i can get the jet 1642 1.5hp for $1385 tax inc
    at rockler. the nova is around $1000. For $385 diff is the jet a better buy?
    Your thoughts!
    Byron

I would buy theJet over the Nova because of the electronic variable speed if you have it in your budget . Although I think the Nova is a good machine for the money.

The Jet 1642 is an excellent lathe. I've had one for four years now. Since I have 220 in the shop, I opted for the 2hp. That's the same motor that is on the Powermatic 3520.

Since I've had this setup, It has done all that I've asked. I've done bowls upt to 15", vases 10" in diameter and 12" high without a whimper. The variable speed and reversible direction was a primary requirement for me and I've not regretted it.

So far, I've not felt the need for the PM3520, even though the wife has given the green light if I want to go for it.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Do a search of threads on this site

There was a big discussion on this a while back with some good comments.
    Jerry Hall

Tough question. I just ordered the Nova, haven't received it yet. I had a $1000 limit set on myself, so hence the Nova. However the VS is very nice to have, my Harbor Freight has it and I know I am going to miss that feature. Some day when my ship comes, I can upgrade my 1624 to a DVR!

The DVR has a minimum speed of 200 rpm. The Jet, if it is like the PM has a minimum speed of about 50 rpm. The A model of the PM would go down to 15 rpm or so. The main use of the low speeds for me is for sanding warped bowls, and all of mine are warped. I would believe that these speeds can be lowered if you need. I got it done on my Robust.

The variable speed is a luxury that once you have it, you can't imagine how you lived without it. Now, some one needs to invent an automatic transmission for changing turning speed ranges/pulleys.

robo hippy

I don't know that I'd characterize true variable speed as a "luxury", Reed. It truly opens up a lot of opportunities where even a few rpm difference can quell vibration and result in a much better end result. It is, however, a "premium feature" that adds some cost.

That said, of the two machines the OP asks about, I'd opt for the Jet in a second, largely because of the true variable speed. And at $13xx, it's a darn good deal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Jet also comes standard with the long bed, 42" between centers. The Nova has bed extensions available but then the cost is almost the same as the Jet but without the VS. If you want to do any spindle work, table legs, etc the long bed is a must.

Bryon, I have the Jet 1642 2hp version and love it! Like Fred, my wife has also given the OK to upgrade to the 3520B any time I want - but the Jet does just about everything I can ask of it. Only thing - for me - it would be nice (at times) to have the extra clearance and the extra weight.

The variable speed is something that I love! Like Jim stated, just a couple of rpm difference can eliminate vibration and that makes a huge difference in the end product! Other thing to think about is the weight. The Jet is somewhere around 400 - 450 pounds but you can build a ballast box, fill with concrete or sand and bring the weight up to 700-800 pounds. The added stability does make a difference.

Best of luck making the decision. No matter which lathe you decide on - have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing photos of the new lathe sometime real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The Nova DVR's minimum speed is 100 rpm. If you can I would get the Jet for the variable speed and reverse.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have the Nova, and have no complaints. However, it only takes one accessory, like the bed extension for $200, to put you in the price range of the Jet, and still no VS. If I had to do it over, I'd go with the Jet 1642.
    -Marc

Just to throw a little mud, I was doing some routine maintenance (Nova 1624, now 44), specifically on my tailstock and noticed that my now, not-so-new, bed extension has a lot of play in the bed, has pitting on the ways and a LOT of tool marks on the ways.

This was a kind of desperately needed extension so when I got it I was very happy to assemble it and get things going. Didn't think there was a need to inspect it.

Kind of makes me wonder about Teknatool and their wrong-way chucks. A Nova upgrade is not in my future.

Burt