Thread: Simple and fairly durable finish for entertainment center please....

Simple and fairly durable finish for entertainment center please....

I've made a 3 part entertainment center for the Real Estate Broker that I work for. The three parts convert a fireplace and mantle to an ent. center. The mantle, hearth and cabinet trim are walnut with BLO on them. THe hearth will have a decorative item or two on it , i.e. a (non-water holding) vase and a small statue. A flat screen TV will set on the mantle. The inside of the cabinet is already finished with poly. I don't want to use poly on the walnut (unless someone says that it would be the best choice) but I don't know what other type of finish to use. I can wipe or brush on a finish. Neither of the pieces need to withstand any special type of use or abuse, just something like a regular piece of furniture.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

333ent1.jpg

333ent2.jpg

333ent3.jpg
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Waterlox original is my go to wipe on finish.

Several others are available that are quality finishes but I don't have much experience with them. Behlen's rockhard is one mentioned a lot. I have heard nothing bad about it either.

Any good finish is a bit expensive and with waterlox you can get limited life after opening so buy small amounts when possible.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I see no reason not to continue with a varnish product and wiping will be the easiest application. Waterlox or a wiping varnish you create by mixing brushable varnish 50/50 with mineral spirits is a good choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thnaks very much!!!

Waterlox it is!!! I don't suppose that I'd be lucky enough to find it easily at my local BORG, eh? Maybe a trip over the hill to my nearest Woodcraft is in order? (60 miles each way)

What is "wiping varnish? Is it more readily available?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

No, you'll not find Waterlox at the 'borg or anyplace like the 'borg. Check their website for a dealer near you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I found waterlox at a local hardware store but it is far from common.

Wiping varnish is just regular strength brushing varnish mixed with a thinner, normally mineral spirits.

That fancy wipe on poly you get at the borg is just half mineral spirits from the regular can stuff.

I don't know what woodcraft carries but they will have something that you will like without doubt.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I buy mine from the local Woodcraft...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    Thnaks very much!!!

Waterlox it is!!! I don't suppose that I'd be lucky enough to find it easily at my local BORG, eh? Maybe a trip over the hill to my nearest Woodcraft is in order? (60 miles each way)

What is "wiping varnish? Is it more readily available?

Mark,

I am a self confessed shellac enthusiast. The standard orange shellac is a beautiful finish, giving a warmth that few other finishes can even hope to compare to.

It is tough. I have used it on the vertical surfaces of kitchen cabinets. One of these is right where the caustic steam from the dish washer exhausts and it has stood up to that for three years or more..

It is easily repaired. I keep a pad in an airtight jar and if the wood needs a little attention a quick wipe restores the finish. Unlike most finishes you can go right over a scratch without sanding. The meth in the shellac reconstitutes the original finish.

And because it wipes on there are no problems with dust. Shellac is dry in seconds.

I do not buy ready mixed shellac. The flakes when dry and kept in an airtight container have an indefinite shelf life. I mix only enough for the job in hand.

I could go on boring you to death but the best thing is try it for yourself. Check out thread "this french polish thing really works."

Jerry

War does not decide who is right. War only decides who is left.
    Attached Images Attached Images