Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What size K-body clamps should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    When I started woodworking, I bought long clamps based on that theory. It works, but it's a pain clamping something small with really long clamps - and the clamp up takes a lot of room in the shop. After I could afford to buy the shorter clamps the longer ones got a lot less usage.

I still think that when you're starting and on a budget, it's a good approach. But it's a pain.

Mike
    I couldn't agree more here. My first K-body purchase was 8 50" ones and they are brutally heavy for those small clamping jobs. Most of what I do can be easily accomodated by the 12" and 24" ones. I have some 31" ones as well - then there are the 50" ones there in the rack that get more dust than use.

I use the 24" the most, and have the most of them. But I am most thankful for the 50"' I have. For the work I do now having a handful of 50" really helps me out.

I guess the right size and number should be calculated to your work, your methods, your budget and your volume...your shop basically. I go for the shortest clamp that can get the job done on any given project.

In the door shop where I worked we had a few 98" Jorgie I-beams that were in constant use, and a wall of 36"-48" I-beams that rarely made it back to their clamp racks. In my own small shop those would just be in my way.

I took someone's advice. I got the Woodcraft flyer in the mail yesterday. Called a couple of Lowe's today, and bought 4 at each one (24 inchers). With the 10% reduction and price match, I essentially purchased 8 camps at Lowes for what it would have cost me to buy 7 at the Woodcraft sale. Thanks for the advice.

After reading all this, now i am wondering if i should not have bought the 3 sets of 24x40 jet kits and bought some 12" clamps...how often is the extra strength of the k bodies needed vs the uniclamp? i have caviar tastes, but pb&j budget...

Jay, the Uniclamps are nice, but they are pretty much "dressed up" F clamps. They do not have the true parallel design that the K-Body and similar clamps have. I have a few of the Uniclamps and like them, but they are much lighter duty than the parallel clamps from Bessey, Jet, Jorgenson, etc.

Your point about the kits is a good one. A good quantity of my K-Body stable was build using the kits with 24" and 40" clamps when they went on sale from time to time. I would really like to get some of the 12" K-Bodies as there have been a number of times I would have liked the extra "oomph" they provide without a long piece of metal bar sticking out and waiting to crack my skull open. Unfortunately, the 12" version has never gone on sale at an "attractive" price that I've seen. Even with the close-out on the current design, I haven't seen any real movement on the 12" price...so far.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Some folks here have said that the Pittsburg knockoff is a decent clamp. I haven't tried them myself, but noticed the other day the 12" clamps were on sale for $15.99, FWIW:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93876

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    After reading all this, now i am wondering if i should not have bought the 3 sets of 24x40 jet kits and bought some 12" clamps...how often is the extra strength of the k bodies needed vs the uniclamp? i have caviar tastes, but pb&j budget...
    IMO, 12" are not needed until you have a full complement of other sizes.
    I have about 55-60 K bodies. (Ask your wife for them for every birthday, christmas, whatever) No 12" long and I've never felt the need to get any.