Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What size K-body clamps should I buy?

What size K-body clamps should I buy?

Since Lowe's is blowing out their inventories of 24", 40" & 50" Bessey K-body clamps, I've been picking up a few on sale. I think I've got an even dozen now.

So far, these are the only sizes of K-bodies that I have in my shop as I'm still relatively new to woodworking. Are there other sizes I should be considering (especially given the current price reductions)?

Jason

Hi Jason-

I'm a newb so don't know much; take these comments with a few grains of salt.

I'd suggest making your clamp (and tool) acquisitions project-based. Consider the nect two or three projects your are committed to doing, decide what you need to complete those projets, and buy accordingly.

My $0.02

-Tom H.

Generally, that is how I make my tool purchases.

However, the Bessey K-bodies are being discontinued (the current models) and they are on sale all over the place -- for $10-20 off the price of each. We're talking major savings here for those of us who are looking to stock up.

My experience with clamps is that you never really know which ones you need until you need them. That said, I'm wondering from those with a lot of them (K-bodies in particular) which ones they use the most.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henderson2 View Post
    Hi Jason-

I'm a newb so don't know much; take these comments with a few grains of salt.

I'd suggest making your clamp (and tool) acquisitions project-based. Consider the nect two or three projects your are committed to doing, decide what you need to complete those projets, and buy accordingly.

My $0.02

-Tom H.

Clamp usage

I have several from 12" to 98" and definitely use the shortest the most -- 12"ers on most every project. If Lowe's doesn't have the 12's, I'd recommend the 24's. Most of what I do is small scale so your needs may vary.

Just a head's up. If you take your newest Woodcraft ad into Lowe's they'll beat the price by 10%. I did that this morning and used a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon. You'll end up getting another coupon after that as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use the 24" the most with the 40" (and a few 32") right behind.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Anybody find the 50" or 60" especially useful?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use the 24" the most with the 40" (and a few 32") right behind.

I suspect that the longer clamps are in the category of you don't need one until you really need one. That's how they are at my place. The longest guys sit on the storage rack while I end up wishing I had even longer clamps (my longest clamps are only 48" now).

I suggest at least 4 24" and a set of stands for drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McFarland View Post
    I have several from 12" to 98" and definitely use the shortest the most -- 12"ers on most every project. If Lowe's doesn't have the 12's, I'd recommend the 24's. Most of what I do is small scale so your needs may vary.
    I agree. I use my 12" the most, then my 24". The others are used less often.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Tribby View Post
    Just a head's up. If you take your newest Woodcraft ad into Lowe's they'll beat the price by 10%. I did that this morning and used a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon. You'll end up getting another coupon after that as well.

Which ad are you talking about? Did you print the WoodCraft prices off the internet, or do you have a paper ad?

Thanks,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom holton View Post
    Which ad are you talking about? Did you print the WoodCraft prices off the internet, or do you have a paper ad?

Thanks,

Tom
    Got home about an hour ago, and there was the newest Woodcraft ad in the mailbox. Bessey clamp blowout on the cover.

Will try it, but since Woodcraft is about an hours drive from here, and Lowe's is in a high rent area (14 minutes drive), they don't always pricematch someone they think/state, aren't a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Since Lowe's is blowing out their inventories of 24", 40" & 50" Bessey K-body clamps, I've been picking up a few on sale. I think I've got an even dozen now.

So far, these are the only sizes of K-bodies that I have in my shop as I'm still relatively new to woodworking. Are there other sizes I should be considering (especially given the current price reductions)?

Jason
    I have 8-24 inch, 2-40 inch, and 4-50 inch Besseys, and (heresy coming - sit down) don't have any desire for more. Yes, I said it. I have enough clamps.

I use the 24s most, but after a few doors or drawers are glued up, the clamps on the first can be moved to the next - the glue takes a day or more to reach full strength, but the clamps can come off in an hour or two.

I got the 40s when I needed something to supplement my two 50s, and the local stores were out of 50s.

I have a pipe clamp longer than 50 inches that I use a couple times per year (making a bed, for example), but I also sometmes just put two Bessey's together, one jaw pulling on the jaw of another clamp, when I need a larger clamp.

Blog Entries
    I use the 24" and 31" the most. I have a pair of 40" and a pair of 50" that get used seldom. Generally if I am clamping something that big, pipe clamps do the job. I picked up a dozen Jorgie 3/4" sets for about $100 from Hartville but, I love my Besseys.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Remember that Bessey has the clamp extender that can hold two clamps together and make longer clamps if you occasionally need some really long ones.