Thread: Just getting started...

Just getting started...

Hi all... I apologize in advance if I'm posting on the incorrect forum:

I'm very new to woodworking, and what you guys might treat as commonplace is lost upon my pea-sized brain. I'm looking for your advice for my reading list on how to get started in this new hobby of mine. Starting with the basics... joinery, etc. Something with some illustrations would probably be a must, or at least some very good descriptions that fully explain the jargon of the "business."

Thanks in advance for your help ya'll.

Rich

Wood

Welcome aboard. I like Wood magazine. I'd suggest going to a big bookstore and browse all the wood working magazines. Look for the ones that have features most helpful for the projects that you would like to build. Check to see of a local store like a Rocklers or Woodcraft has a club or lessons. Try the same thing in the book section. Be ready to to increase your challenge and skill level one step at a time.
    Last edited by Gary Breckenridge; 05-27-2008 at 1:09 AM.

I agree with Gary. Wood magazine has very detailed plans for their projects and they explain all the steps in great detail. It would be 'learning as you go', but it's an effective way to learn how to do things, and what tools you will need. Plus...you will get a first project out of the deal.

Another suggestion is to watch New Yankee Workshop reruns and Woodworks reruns. They are both on the DIY channel Friday and Saturday evenings.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Jeffrey Makiel; 05-27-2008 at 6:51 AM. Reason: Grammar

Blog Entries
    I would search out here for any and all posts by Bob Smalser. Read and re-read until you understand.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I also found that Shop Notes was pretty easy reading when I first got started.

Then start looking at your local library, they have more woodworking books than you think !!! If I only had the time to read more ...

As your skills grow your interest in various magazine articles will change as well. If you can find a library that subscribes to a couple wood working mags so you can check out back issues that's a great find.

And - woodworking is a very broad term regarding the kinds of things you'll make and hence the kind of skills you'll need and the kind of tools you'll want. Furniture is one thing, cabinets another, sculpture, toys etc all different.

Plus for each type there's a continuum with ugly <---> beautify on one axis and functional <----> artistic on the other. It helps to learn about your desires that way. Myself I'm strongly on the functional side (not artistic) and about mid-way on the ugly/beautiful line.

So the more you expose yourself to the more you'll learn what you like.

have fun.

Welcome to the Creek.

There are numerous woodworking magazines out there. Shop Notes and Woodsmith are a couple of the better ones, but Wood, Popular Woodworking, Woodworkers Journal, or Fine Woodworking are all fine choices. As to books, I would agree that you need to go to a big well stocked bookstore and spend a couple of hours perusing their wares. I think you will find that Borders or Barnes and Nobel will have a good selection.

If you are looking for a hand tool discussion, I always recommend Norm Abrams Measure Twice and Cut Once, which has a good discussion on the uses of numerous hand tools, as well as a good read on the Master Carpenter.

Someone else mentioned Woodcraft and Rockler stores, but you can also check for woodworking classes with your local community college or even high school, as well as classes in the stores.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.