43. You may not vote on this poll
  • JDS

17 39.53%
  • Jet

24 55.81%
  • Delta

2 4.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Cleaner choices.........vote!

Air Cleaner choices.........vote!

hey all.
    i'm searching and searching the threads about air cleaners and i'm leaning toward the jds. the main reason being the ease of cleaning of the filters.
    i wanted to get a little more "voting" info.......... kind of a "if you had to buy it again" kinda thing.
    thanx for the advice!
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    It's all I know! works great
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I have the Jet 1000, but they're such simple devices I can't imagine there's a very big difference in capability between any of them. They're just a box with a fan and a filter.
    Things I like:
    - Variable time delay, so I can leave the shop and determine how long to leave it running based on how much dust is in the air. I also leave it running a long time when I have finish drying.
    - The filter system. The pre-filter is cleanable. Although not designed to be cleaned, I also clean the main pocket filter.
    Can't really come up with much I don't like. It would be nice if it was a little smaller I guess.
    I feel the same way about these that I do about jointers. They're all pretty much the same, just get the one you get the best deal on.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Brad, I bought the JDS a few years ago and have had no regrets….well one regret, the newer ones come with a remote.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My vote has to be one that is not on the list. A home brew with a scrounged air handler blower. Less than 1/10 the price and has a 12 hour timer and works as well or better than the commercial jobbies.

George

I have a Jet, but it was a toss up. The Jet went on sale, so I bought it. I like the timer feature and remote control.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Hi Brad.

I have the JDS 750, and it works well. Its the older model without the remote. But I understand you can get the retrofit switch with the remote from JDS for around $60 US.

Regards,

John

If I "had to buy it again", I'd do like George. Went to a surplus joint and for $12.00 bought a used HVAC squirrel cage/motor combo and built a box around it, complete with easy to change 3-stage filter system. I use cheap throw-aways for the primary (course) and grade up the next two, (fine and finer) which are both user-cleanable. Works great and I think I have all of $50.00 into it, including the washable fine filters.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have the Jet. Really like the timer and remote. MY shop is 480 sq. ft. and it works really great. One thing I do once in awhile is use the the air and blow everything off, then turn on the cleaner and set for 4 hours.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

GOOD POINT STAN!!
    i like that idea alot!!
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    My vote has to be one that is not on the list. A home brew with a scrounged air handler blower. Less than 1/10 the price and has a 12 hour timer and works as well or better than the commercial jobbies.

George
    I'm with George, One homemade to mount in the ceiling, and one on wheels to place wherever I need it. Most AC guys have lots of 'em (air handler blowers) hanging around, I got one for free and paid $15 for the other. Plans are in Woodsmith, If interested I'll look up the volume number for ya.
    Tony

I have the Jet and it is very quiet. Jack Diemer has the Delta and it is much, much louder. No experience with the JDS unit.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I have the JDS and it does everything I want it to. Pretty quite on low and medium speeds. Can't comment on the others.

good luck,

dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Brad, I bought the JDS a few years ago and have had no regrets….well one regret, the newer ones come with a remote.
    Bruce, I went to HD and bought a $20 remote to operate mine. I glued an earth magnet on the back and it hangs on my saw.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Brad..!!!!!

Build one buddy..!!!!! You local HVAC place will normally have an old squirrel cage fan and motor for about $20, build a box around it, install air filters and turn that baby on..!!! I have about $35 in mine and works GREAT!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.