Thread: First HF

First HF

Well I need some HF tools, could only get about 9-10" deep. It's pine, 12" tall, about 2" opening. Finished with miniwax stain, sanding sealer, and Deft. This was my first try at a HF. Can anyone suggest a good HF video, I'm thinking of Lyle Jamison's," HF made easy". Time to call Randy for some tooling. Thanks for looking.....Bruce
    As always comments are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bruce - Congrats on your first HF! I do have to warn you though - they are extremely addicting! I have no idea on hollowing videos... I've always just figured it out as I went along. Looking forward to seeing your next hollow form!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve just talked to Randy. Do you use the Monster Hollow Form with the laser? How deep can you go? Randy and I talked about the HFLH, that way I would have the captive system with laser and the handle. Can you recommend anything else. Randy said you and Bernie both used the system, I remember reading the thread about it, you and Bernie both seemed to like it. Must be very popular Randy told me he had about 6 on order, it would take a few weeks to get. I told him good things are worth waiting for. Thanks again for the info and comments....Bruce

Bruce, you can't go wrong with Randy's tools. First rate. I already had my Jamison captive rig copy before I found Randy. Did get his Laser though and it works great. I've never watched any videos but I would think Lyle's would be a good one. Nice little HF too!!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

The Jamieson DVD is a good intro to using a captive rig, and will probably save you some learning curve time.

And yes, Randy's tools are worth waiting for.

Thanks Keith do you use Randy articulating arm set up or just the laser on your Jamison set up? What I'm wondering is the combo system of Randy's is only $200 more than I'd have it all....Captive system and articulating system. I read the articulating system is only good for 8" or so deep. I just hate to spend $500 to find out I should have got the whole package for $725. Bernie, Steve, Keith, anyone else using both captive and articulating systems, any advice would be great. Going to wait a few days to make up my mind, Randy said it would take a few weeks to get a order made up. The last thing I'm in is a hurry any more....Thanks for the help...Bruce

Thanks Don I was looking his website up just now to order his DVD.

Bruce, I only have the Jamison clone and it can do any size basically. However I spent an afternoon with the articulating system and really enjoyed using it. I think it is easier to use on the smaller stuff. Someday after I win the lottery I will probably get one. If you are only getting one, I'd go with the captive but if you are getting a good deal, get both.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Thanks Keith I'm having a hard time figuring out which way to go. I know I want the captive system, but I'm on the fence about the articulating arm set up. Thanks for the advice...Bruce

Bruce that is a good looking HF. Bruce I have both the captive rig and articulating arm unit from Randy. I wish I he would have come out with the arm unit first but such is life. I like both units and both have their advantages. The arm unit is good to 10" to 12". The captured unit will do deeper and bigger units. I do use both all the time. On Randy's site he has a video on the arm unit. Go to the bottom of the mini hollowing unit page.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 05-27-2008 at 10:00 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.