Thread: Pine and nylon

Pine and nylon

Jacques portal, amateur wood turner, has just finished these two crescents.

In its largest dimension it is 32 cm
    The pine crescents are turned, then brushed our with a metallic brush mounted on the lathe to tear off the smoothest part of the wood, then burnt, then finished with tung oil.
    The keep together thanks to the nylon thread.
    You can see the same object from different angles buy clicking on the picture.

However he says: “I’d like to have your opinion, in particular your critiques to improve it, I have already some ideas about it but I’d like yours…
    My answer to him was : “are you pulling my leg?”

Last edited by Claude Arragon; 05-28-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Tell him, c'est incroyable, il n'y a pas, mais il n'y a rien de chose pour changer. C'est parfait comme ca.

The only thing that I might see anyone suggesting would be the color of the nylon string, but I think if it were any other color, it would detract or at least not emphasize the geometric quality of the wrapping. Its great the way it is.

I don't think I've ever seen pine look better. Something about the gaps in the string across from the two wooden bodies bothers me but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Yep, what Nathan said.......don't change a thing.
    John 3:16

It is a thing of beauty and wonderment. Unfortunately, it gives me a headache trying to figure out the stress points and how it all holds together.

How is this "shown?" Is it suspended? Mounted? Hanging by a thread?

I love it!
    Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara View Post
    Unfortunately, it gives me a headache trying to figure out the stress points and how it all holds together.
    Think of it as a double suspension bridge with four-way symmetry and it makes a lot more sense.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Beautiful piece Claude. Never seen pine look so pretty.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Invisible thread made from unobtainium ...or perhaps black.

Claude,

The white thread-retainer pieces should definitely be black, as they detract from the overall feeling of the piece.

If you could send it to me to study for a few months I might find something else to suggest. Or maybe not. Please translate for Jacques "If it ain't broke, do not fix it".
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Claude,

The white thread-retainer pieces should definitely be black, as they detract from the overall feeling of the piece.

If you could send it to me to study for a few months I might find something else to suggest. Or maybe not. Please translate for Jacques "If it ain't broke, do not fix it".
    I'll certainly do.
    But as Jacques has already ideas to "improve it" I'll keep you posted about the changes.
    I guess he will come up with something different for our pleasure.