Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman - lack of support

Craftsman - lack of support

A couple of years ago I bought two 14.4V power drills from Sears/Craftsman. Apparently they discontinued this line in lieu of the higher powered drills. So I am stuck with two perfectly good drills whose batteries will not hold a charge anymore. And no replacements available at Sears. Does anyone know who Sears supplier/manufacturer is? The origin of the batteries is China - where else? I found a source that will rebuild the batteries for $45/piece plus S/H.
    Any help would be appreciated. The drills are still available from some suppliers but not individual batteries.
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

On the web or ebay are many many companies that sell "replacement" batteries. For me its not wanting to pay $65 dollars for a Dewalt replacement battery for a drill they sell for $99 now (drill, battery, charger, case). I am down to my last "Dewalt" battery. I will be trying the "replacements" pretty soon. Also there are several places that will rebuild your Craftsman batteries!

Just a reminder; RIGID has lifetime warranties on their tools and includes batteries.

Really? Have you ever had a battery replaced? I need to look at it again, but I thought the lifetime warranty on my Ridgid planer was just for the labor...

I'm a big Ridgid fan and if they payed off on the batteries that would be pretty good incentive to replace my failing battery powered gizmos with theirs!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    Just a reminder; RIGID has lifetime warranties on their tools and includes batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Really? Have you ever had a battery replaced? I need to look at it again, but I thought the lifetime warranty on my Ridgid planer was just for the labor...

I'm a big Ridgid fan and if they payed off on the batteries that would be pretty good incentive to replace my failing battery powered gizmos with theirs!
    http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Do a search either through Google to general cyberspace or just here in SMC but you should find the names of some firms that will take your batteries and redo them for you.

You send the batteries in, they take them apart, refurbish the interior, and then send 'em back to you good as new or better than new depending on what you order.

One of my Festool drill batteries died on me. $140 or some odd bucks for a new one so I'll be giiving some firm like I described above a shot because I know it is at least half the cost and probably even less.

http://www.primecell.com/ Found one.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-30-2008 at 2:52 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    One of my Festool drill batteries died on me. $140 or some odd bucks for a new one so I'll be giiving some firm like I described above a shot because I know it is at least half the cost and probably even less.
    Not trying to start a fight. But for the initial cost of Festtools, I would be rather annoyed that a battery failed and the company tells me its $140 for a new one??? I mean they are charging a high premium for their tools. If the battery is several years old, and has been recharged more times than one can count. I understand it will wear out. But the fact is, unless the battery lasts 2x to 3x another brands (they don't), what are they charging the premium price for battery wise??

Now having said that, I think other brands sells their batteries for a high proffit as well. I have a Dewalt 12 volt I just love. Both my original batteries have died. The one replacement I bought was over 1/2 of what they now sell the drill, battery, charger, case, extended driver, and a couple tips for. Basically they are saying the battery is more than half the cost of the entire kit. Or is it more likely they know your locked into their tool and they can get away with making extra money on a replacement part!

So in my opinion $140 for a battery is absolutely outrageous!! Again especially for the premium charged for the tool in the first place.

If anyone is offended I appologize, but that just seems to be way out of line!

Ben,

I'm about 5 months outside the 3-year warranty in which they would have covered my defective battery so I would have had to bite the bullet. I'm not shocked at the price but there are other ways to skin this cat thanks to www.primecell.com, who I'll give a shot to refresh my battery.

Interestinlgy, I have two Festool drills, the oldest one's batteries are fine near as I can tell. It was the newer, more powerful one whose battery went south on me.... At least I have two batteries (and two drills) so I'm not down at all.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I am an extremely easy going guy. But something like that failing just outside the warranty window and then finding the replacement cost. That would have torqued me quite a bit. Good you can find a repair place for it. Hopefully its a good quality repair, as Festtools are a pretty big investment. I know if it comes down to it. I can toss the Dewalt and get the newest one out there. But with a Festtool that would be a bit harder to do.

Now having bashed Festtool for the outrageous prices on parts. I am looking at purchasing 2 of them the last couple days.

Contact 'Creeker Jason Able as another potential supplier of what you need to get that drill/driver running again like new. I used his battery rebuilds for my Dewalt 14.4 last year and am completely satisfied.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Contact 'Creeker Jason Able as another potential supplier of what you need to get that drill/driver running again like new. I used his battery rebuilds for my Dewalt 14.4 last year and am completely satisfied.
    Whish I had kept my first 2 Dewalts. I tossed them into the recycle can at HD when I picked up the replacement. I am guessing HD actually gets a little money for them from a repair place. And they probably get redone and sold as repaired by some of the online places. Kinda like used golf balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Hoffmann View Post
    A couple of years ago I bought two 14.4V power drills from Sears/Craftsman. Apparently they discontinued this line in lieu of the higher powered drills. So I am stuck with two perfectly good drills whose batteries will not hold a charge anymore. And no replacements available at Sears. Does anyone know who Sears supplier/manufacturer is? The origin of the batteries is China - where else? I found a source that will rebuild the batteries for $45/piece plus S/H.
    Any help would be appreciated. The drills are still available from some suppliers but not individual batteries.
    These batteries should still be available. Go to Sears.com and click on parts, then enter the model number of the drill. You will get a list of available parts for that drill which should include the batteries.

Bob

Thumbs up Ditto~

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    that statement, and the batteries have no more memory~ thank god for lithium , when it goes , it goes, and that lifetime warranty~ How can you go wrong.

I totally agree Joe!
    Brian

I had Jason Able rebuild some Milwaukee batteries a while back, and they turned out well. I think his outfit is battery rebuilders or something like that.

Here is a firm who does an excellent job on rebuilding batteries. Service is good and prices are right.

http://www.mtobattery.com/store/
    Howie.........