Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning a Steinway Grand into a desk?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    Before you do any of this, get on the phone with or send a letter to Steinway.

I wouldn't necessarily take a piano tuner's word that it isn't worth it. They don't build or restore pianos, they just tune them.

I just read a book on the making of a Steinway concert grand. Steinway still has old world craftsmen in their factory in NYC. They have been known to buy back classic Steinways for their museum too.
    good advice

I'm thinking client (potential) wants a desk made from a junky old piano, as a wood worker you either:

A) Accept the job.
    B) Decline the job.

I am not of the opinion that every thing old has intrinsic value because it has survived this long, or that things of which there are few are automatically scarce and there for valuable. A call to Steinway or a good Steinway dealer should verify the potential market value of this thing. If the value is high you may feel compelled to share this information with the client, who may or may not care.

My feeling is that the most valuable thing worth preserving may be some nicely carved legs and some old growth wood that is well seasoned. Its tough to offer specific design ideas or brain storm for them without more information and specific measurements and construction details of this things box. Sounds like there is enough wood and structure involved to do something.

I'd say if it piques your interest this is a project worth considering, its highly possible to recycle this thing into a desk (or a coffin?). I'd avoid passing judgement on the present owner regarding his disregard for its value as an instrument.

The appraiser is generally correct. The late 1800's square pianos are nearly worthless as musical instruments, and nearly impossible to sell as antique furniture, some are more empire style and less ornate than the one pictured. There are a few which are still inj good condition and worth a bit, but most are not worth fixing. Now is there something special about this one that would make it worth keeping as a piano. Never hurts to check with Steinway, but factory restorations cost multiple of tens of thousands, occasionally even 6 figures. So if a family has one that always sat in a certain corner of a certain house and looks right there. Converting it to a desk is a wonderful idea. Storage back in to box (accessible by lifing the top), cubby holes nearer the front, writing surface roughly where the keys would have been, close it up when you are done paying the bills.
    My wife runs the Howard Steamboat Museum here in Jeffersonville, Indiana. An historic home museum, honoring the ohio/Mississippie steamboat era, especially the Howard built boats. (Talk about steam bending, their steamer was the size of a house, 20 & 30' timbers pulled out by horse team, winched into flat forms). but back to the piano. The Howard had an early Steinway grand, that went through the flood of 1937, under or floating in water for 20 days. Steinway said it could not be restored for any money. The case was recently restored (satinwood), and is gorgeous, but still cost several thousand dollars. The works were shot.
    The museum also owned a couple of early square pianos (but not Steinway), and they could not get rid of them. So make sure there is nothing special about this piano, and if not, have fun making a desk. Good luck and please post pictures. Ray

Jim,

Thanks for the electric piano idea. This may be a great way to go. I'm going to call them in a few minutes and let them know what all I've learned over the weekend.

Greg

I keep thinking computer desk , with the keyboard where the um keyboard is.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"