Thread: Desk Organizer

Desk Organizer

This is a proto-type desk organizer that I built for my brother-in-law. He liked it so much that we edge banded it with an oak veneer and put a coat of stain on it. Still need to put another coat of stain on it and some poly to match the desk that we built for him. Let me know what you think, the things you would change / do different etc. The one thing I would do if building for myself is use hard wood instead of the birch ply.

Anything is possible once you get beyond your fear

Chris Messier

The organizer looks good to me. Hard does look better than plywood to me also. I don't think I would change a thing on it. Show us a pic of the desk and organizer together.

Keep up the good work.

Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messier
    the things you would change / do different

Looks very nice Chris, but consider thinning the material for the shelves and partitions to give it a more delicate look (Like the partition between the cd racks, it looks thinner). The right side looks kinda beefy to me. The shelf spans are not that long and very well supported, so sagging shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 04-12-2004 at 7:26 PM.
    Tony

I agree with Tony, use thinner hardwood stock. It looks great.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Thanks for the comments, so far. I agree with use of a thinner wood for the dividers and such. Since it started off as a proto-type I was using scraps I had laying around the shop. Any other ideas????
    Anything is possible once you get beyond your fear

Chris Messier

Chris,
    I'm trying to visualize a little more symmetry in the layout--maybe a CD rack at either end, drawers in the middle, with other divided cubbys in between. Just thinking "out loud" so to speak. Just wish my "prototypes" looked so good!

Mark