Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Made on Epilog

Made on Epilog

Just finished this 1/87 scale model of the old Boston & Maine RR station at Weston, MA. The model is assembled entirely from paper, cardboard, acetate and plywood engraved and cut on the laser. I think it shows the sharp quality miniature work I can do on my 35w Epilog Mini 24, working off Adobe Illustrator files. I'm really pleased with it.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few details. The window panes are cut from an ordinary manila file folder.

The ladder is cut from 1mm plywood. You'd think it would disintigrate but it holds together nicely, and can be flexed pretty far before uh-oh.

I'm most chuffed about the chimney. Its lasered from a single square piece of wood. Each side got a burn, I used a cardboard jig to hold it in the same place after each rotation.

Still trying to get the hang of the 3-D effect feature, but I think the texture came out really well, especially considering the microscopic size of each brick

The bench design came out nicely too, the laser just cuts exactly what you tell it to.

Well thats all for now. Anyone else doing model work? If anyone has questions about miniature work I'll try and answer.

Dave

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.

Awesome

Very cool.

That is incredible. We are not worthy! *Tugs forelock respectfully*

That is just too cool, David. Extremely well done! Thanks for sharing.

Skip
    Skip

WK Laser LC6090 80w - Shopsabre 4896 CNC Router

Dave, that is outstanding! Are the roof tiles individual pieces or is the 3-D pattern just that good? The chimney is fabulous - looks just like old time bricks with that rough texture, perfect! Your painting skills are pretty good too, on such tiny pieces. All in all an excellent job, thanks for showing it off!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Very Nice.

Very nice work David! I love all the detail!

I too have cut some B&M models. Here is a Laconia Built Buggy:

And here is a Narrow Monitor buggy, in N Scale:

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    Just finished this 1/87 scale model of the old Boston & Maine RR station at Weston, MA. The model is assembled entirely from paper, cardboard, acetate and plywood engraved and cut on the laser. I think it shows the sharp quality miniature work I can do on my 35w Epilog Mini 24, working off Adobe Illustrator files. I'm really pleased with it.

Dave
    From a former railroader, I'd say that's pretty nice. What program did you use to set up the cuts? I used to have a N scale setup and did a lot of scratch building, but my eyes made it more difficult to work so small. Nice work.
    Pinnacle/Mercury 30w Corel x3. Laser Master 8.0v3 Photoshop

Holy Crap! A very cool creation of the house! How long did it take you to cut and assemple the final product?
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Dave,
    I did not know you were making models, Love your work the chimney looks very real. We got to meet and talk, I would love to see your model work. I am all into it too.I got my laser after I saw what Robert could do with his laser.
    Here is a park bench for example ...

these are using 1/64" plywood, card stock, Plastic. The bricks at the bottom is made by scoring card stock,

The completed station

Here with plywood and paper.

End result... Every thing made with a laser, including the snowplough

One more all made with a laser..

These are only a few examples of things that I could do because of the laser.

Kim
    Epilog 24TT 45 Watts

All those models are wonderful......really excellent.
    They look like they took a lot of time and thought and incredibly detailed effort.......Well done to all
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher