Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Lathe

Mini Lathe

I've never done any turning, but want to give it a try. I'm planning to get a mini lathe. (Well, it will limit the size of my screw ups.) First, how important is electronic variable speed control? I know most have at least belt adjustment speed change; is the electronic control a big plus in normal useage?

Second, I know that a lot of you have the Jet mini. Is that the "one to get", or are less expensive brands lilke Grizzly, PSI, etc., as good?

Gary

Gary everyone seems to recommend Jet VS mini, I don't own one. I love my VS on my PM3520 use it all the time. Did look into getting something small and portable, the Jet VS mini is what was most recommended. Also a lot of guy's like the Harbor Freight tool set, when starting out. Look into the wolverine system for sharpening, make life very easy. Also I've had good luck buying used equipment off Craigs List, don't know how close you are to a major city. Good Luck and Welcome to the Vortex.....Bruce

Gary,

I currently have a Jet VS mini after owning one of the original Jet mini with only belt speed adjustment. The VS motor has limited torque and makes you work more delicately with smaller cuts than when you have more torque available. I also have the Powermatic 3520B and the variable speed motor is awsome and the way to go with the larger unit, but it does have torrque at all speeds. If the mini is your entry level and you plan to upgrade later, then the VS is probably the way to go, but it will slow your bowl and platter work (larger diameter) compared to the belt adjustment. You might want to try to turn on different models using a larger blank to see the difference.

Gary,

The two most popular minis used by members here is probably the Rikon and the Jet. I have a Jet VS mini. It is definitely handy to be able to turn the speed down when you first start turning an out of balance blank. I recently bought a PM3520B which has VS. I like variable speed but it is definitely not a necessity but it does come in handy. One place I really find it handy is when I am finishing on the lathe. I'll apply my finish, either dewaxed shellac or lacquer at the slowest speed and then turn the speed up to friction the finish. Then turn it back down for the next coat.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Look at the new Jet 1220 VS, if you can afford it. It has the min. speed of 270 rpm which would handle a slightly off balance blank better. IMO, there is an absence of lathe worth recommending between this and those selling for under $1K. Jet has a 5 year solid warranty.
    Gordon

I've had a Woodtek 6-speed mini - manual belt changing, and now have a Steel City VS, which I love. The going price for this lathe is $250.00, and it has a 5-year warranty. The Jet isn't the only fish in the sea!! I've seen three Jets in the last year go belly-up with headstock bearing problems--two of them in two days at the state fair.

Lots of people are happy with their Jets and Rikons - but at least look at the Steel City VS - you'll be surprised.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I just bought my first mini lathe, and ended up buying the Jet mini non-VS. More power, and the Mini's VS isn't like a big lathe's where the speed can go really low - it's minimum is only 500 rpm, vs the non-variable low speed of 800. It also still has a 3 speed belt to change. I decided to save the money and put it into other important things like tools and sharpening.

Harbor Freight has a set of tools for <$40 that is really decent for the price, good for learning and has all the basic tools.

Plan on getting a grinder and sharpening jig such as the Oneway Wolverine system, it's pretty much necessary to keep your tools sharp and effective.

I'd also highly reccomend getting a steb center - you can get the good Oneway ones, or there are good inexpensive ones sold by PSI, available on Amazon.

This is just what I've learned as I've jumped in so far, I hope it helps.

Hi Gary,,
    I think variable speed on a mini is a must. Something I use a lot especiallly when finishing pens (CA/BLO) where I alternate a lot between low and high speed.
    regards, Bill

I recently bought the PSI VS mini and I have been very pleased with it. I don't feel that I "lost" anything by buying it over the others.

The Bigger jet mini or the Rikon have been reviewed well by others but I felt the extra $$$ was better spend on sharpening.

I have the Turncrafter Pro from PSI. It is the non-variable speed model from a few years ago. When I purchased it I compared it to several other name brands and I was really hard pressed to tell the difference. My intent was to "upgrade" in a year or so but I have not seen the need. It is a dependable hard working machine. Having said that the next machine I get will be variable speed.

I do most all of my work at 1500rpm. This is the speed I initially started at and I became so comfortable with it that it very rarely gets changed.

Don't rule out the Turncrafter.

I have looked at the Steel City; they looked nice. But the speed of their non-VS model make me believe this is not design by woodturners, for woodturners.
    Speeds: 500, 1300, 2100, 2750, 3600 RPM http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...y=8&tool=60170
    2.6 times jump in 1st and 2nd speed. That is way too much.

For a 12" lathe, I would like more than ½ horse motor. I have the Jet 1014 VS which has a ½ hp motor and 10" swing, I won't say it has a lot of power to spare.

I am not excusing Jet for having a bad run. Jet sells a lot of lathes. I have never heard any negative feedback on their service.
    Gordon

I bought one of the first Jet 1220 (non-VS) that came on the market a little over a year ago and have been very happy with it, this was and is still my first machine. Belt changes take seconds, actually it takes longer to get my gloves off than it does to change speeds! It has a 3/4 hp motor and extensions available if you need to turn longer pieces. Be aware that prices are, or have already gone up, so shop around. I like to support woodworking sites, but check out Amazon too.

I don't know why any manufacturer would make a lathe, and advertise it as one to turn a bowl when the lowest speed is 500 rpm. This could be dangerous to a new bowl turner. As cautious as product protection is like the warnings on hammers about which end to use, I don't see how these manufacturers are getting by with such high low end speeds, and saying they can be used to turn bowls. Be careful out there when you are buying a lathe to turn a bowl.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I have a Vicmarc VL100 that I have set up for use in the back of my Truck. I have a 1/2 hp motor, reverse switch, And I have a buffing and grinding system designed for it also, so I can get by when travelling without having to take along too much equipment.
    The Vicmarc will be turning wood when 90% of the other lathes are dead in the water. It is that well built. There is only one downside, and it's a very big downside.
    And that is: the lowest speed is 680 rpm with the supplied pulleys and a 1725rpm motor. When I put wood on it, it needs to be balanced to start with.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I'll go against the grain here, go for the rikon vs. the jets. 70 rpm slower than the low speed of the jets. 2" more swing, and i use all of it when i'm making bowls on it. Belt changes are really easy, i used a jet mini in my bowl class and it was a pain to change the belt, the rikon i can have done as quick as turning the speed lever on a vs.
    Last edited by Andrew Derhammer; 06-02-2008 at 5:15 PM.