Thread: First Turn

First Turn

Hi guys (and gals)

First off, I have been surfing through the Creek a bit and the Turners have, by far, the best forum.
    Fun, witty and informative.

Anyway, I picked up a economy set of tools from on-line ,cut up some poplar blocks and went at it! I have turned a variety of materials on a metal lathe so I am not a total newbie but holding the tool...WITH MY HANDS! was, well...new

I did OK. Nothing broke or flew across the garage and I made a nice pile of chips.

Here is the thing; I am turning on a ShopSmith which I know has it's limits but is there anything I can do about the vibration? I know, I know "buy a real lathe" but seriously, would changing the belt out with one of those link belts help? Or can I even do that with the SS speed controller?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Colin

shopsmith???

If the vibration is present when the lathe is running "no load" then a belt change might help. if It does vibrate under load, something is most likely out of balance or out of round.
    Bob

Colin, when you get your ShopSmith working it might be a good learning lathe. The state and island where you live would be an excellent place to sell what you turn because of all the tourist. The great wood on the islands is another reason to be serious about turning wheather you sell them or not. I do like that koa. I started out on a cheap lathe which was a bad decision for me, and quickly upgraded to a better one. This might have helped me appreciate turning a a really good lathe, anyway good luck with your turning. I will look forward to seeing pictures on the Creek.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Thanks

Glenn, you are right about the wood over here. Also there are some extremely talented artist/turners. I know a machinist who turns...or,er a turner who machines who is building a lathe that can produce 48" bowls!
    I have to take a break from my newly found passion as I am flying over to the Big Island on wed to finish a house we are building near Volcano.
    I will address SS vibes (actually it is usable I just know it can be better) when I get back.
    I will try and scavenge some dry koa while there and be able to post some pics soon after.

Rob, It is "no load" I will try the belt. I am hoping to find a quality or type of belt that will also be an upgrade.
    The spindle seems pretty solid but I have not put a dial on it yet.
    Thanks,
    C

Colin, I learned to turn on a Shopsmith and it shouldn't vibrate just turning it on with no load. On the other hand, it's very hard to make a log blank round enough to start turning with no vibration. I always had to start as slow as possible and hog off wood until it stopped vibrating. Then I could start "turning."
    (Went yellow to a 3520 to solve that problem!)

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Hi Bob,
    The vibration ain't that bad. It feels "belt-ish" like an old table saw. I guess I am trying to run before I walk. I am already wanting to go thin so I am hitting the limits of the SS pretty quick. also, the poplar piece I was working on was a little heavy sided. I am not sure the term to use there. It has more dense grain on one side of the blank.
    I am not turning green logs yet just dry blanks.
    I am lovin the feel of the tools in my hands! I expect I will upgrade ASAP.
    C
    Last edited by Colin Wollerman; 06-02-2008 at 3:47 PM.