Quote Originally Posted by Dan Owen View Post
    All made by General out of Drummondville Canada

350 table saw
    15 inch drill press
    14"planer
    8"jointer

All quality tools where old school design still rules
    Yes real nice. Good quality.

General International is made outside of Canada though, confusing a bit.

I hear that General is ganging up with Gorilla for CNCing. Good be good.

Hello Rob,
    Where is Vise Grip made?
    U.S.A. - is all Irwin says on the web site.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I scanned and a few names I didn't see here were Whiteside router bits, Keller dovetail jig, Vega fences & accessories. I had thought Starrett was but low and behold their website lists some overseas plants.

Oh, and Ridge Carbide Tools

Porter Cable is manufactured in Jackson Tn, and Craftsman, at least their hand tools, are all made in the USA.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Woodpecker.com - "Like all Woodpecker woodworking tools, made in the U.S.A. in our own machine shop."

US or Canada, as far as buying, same to me.

Larry

Rob Will Guest

Baldor Motors

I like Baldor electric motors.

Here's a link from the CEO about their made in USA success.
    http://www.baldor.com/about/message.asp

Rob

Woodmaster Drum Sanders and Planers all made in USA -- Kansas City Missouri
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

"North American made" doesn't mean much to me."

I think that term is used to describe US/Canada made (no offense to mexico). The US and Canada have a very healthy and equal trade. Although we have are political differences with Canada, they are a huge part of our economy and we theirs. China, Japan and Germany on the other hand do not have fair trade with the US. I prefer not to buy from any of these three countries when possible.

Two companies make superior tools and unfortunately they are both German.

Festool - Guided saws, Domino, Sanders and Vac, Kapex (don't own it yet)

Hilti - There whole line is better engineered and better built then the competition. Hilti tools are built for the long hall and priced accordingly.

Dan

WARNING!!!

This thread had some great content until someone decided to make it political. Another of the Moderators yanked this after it went decidedly in a political direction.

The political post (and the resultant replies) have been deleted from the thread so the original topic can be preserved.

Rob

1955 DeWalt MBF Radial Arm Saw.
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai

I know that the RBI/Hawk scroll saws are made in Missouri. Don't know about the other machines they sell.

Williams and Husssey, located in New Hampshire, manufactures a molding machine that is considered to be the best in its class. 100 % manufactured in USA, it has a Baldor motor on it.

I bought one several years ago. It was an excellent purchase.

On a trip through New Hampshire to New York, I stopped by to order some blades. I received a warm welcome along with a tour of the plant. It is reassuring to know that if I ever have a question I can speak to the people who actually make the machine. Try that with the clone that is made in Asia.

Living about 90 miles from Drummondville, where General manufactures its machines, I am in an area where every school woodshop and many shops have all their tools painted green. With so many school programs shutting down and small shops closing, I have been able to acquire a good number of older General machines second hand.

Leigh D4R Dovetail jig

I love my D4R dovetail jig, a very high quaility jig made in Canada. I did a lot of research before purchasing this jig. I know there are people out there that do not like it because there is a "learning curve" to using this tool correctly and some do not like it because it will not cut pins and tails at the same time but I would not own another dovetail jig.

I use a pocket knife daily it seems. I carried my Old Timer knife for several years. It was made in the USA. I lost it several weeks ago. I decided to replace it with another Old Timer. I found they are now made in China. So much for Old Timer. I finally found a Buck that is made in the USA. It's a little larger than I wanted, but it maintains a sharp edge and does what I need done.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

General Machinery out of Canada; Veritas; Lie-Nielsen and of course Starrett!

Thanks,

Scot