John,

All my 220v equipment will have it's own circuit except maybe three. The tablesaw, planer and jointer. I will have to wait and see how the layout out ends up but right now these three machines will be in the center of the room. My goal is to hang one circuit from the ceiling to minimize electrical drops and would run it down the same place as my dust collection.
As I have young children I'm pretty conscientious about equipment being live. I unplug all machines after use. As they get older and understand the danger and consequences this can be moderated. I want them to feel welcome in the shop but when they are in there I stop working and give them my full attention. When they decide they have had enough and go back to the house I go back to work. Sometimes that can take a while and a bird house or two later. With my oldest it's a way to see how measuring, math and problem solving work. For my youngest it's just being with dad and discovering things. Right now she loves to sweep.
My plan is to put recessed twist lock male plugs in the cabinets of these machines and will plug the end of an extension cord from the drop into the machine. This way only one machine at a time could be turned on and that is the machine I'm using. It's very quick to unplug when making blade changes etc. I also use locks on the power switches in case they decide to plug it in them selves. If I find this too restrictive I can always add additional circuits
Any ideas ? Again I am just sharing what I have come up with. None of this is in concrete. My hopes by sharing is that people will share what has worked for them so I can benefit from their experiences. No sense in re-inventing the wheel. I appreciate your input.