Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally - The Foundation is Poured - Pics Added

Finally - The Foundation is Poured - Pics Added

Yes, this isn't all that exciting for most, but I've been waiting a long time for this day. Finally I have a foundation for my new 24' x 40' shop/garage building. The building will start going up next Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to move all my tools to the new shop soon.
    Shop-Garage Foundation1.jpg
    The finishers did a super job of giving the garage half (closest to the camera) the slope required by code, but still kept the shop floor (far half) flat and level. Shop-Garage Foundation2.jpg
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 09-17-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

The day we placed concrete for the floor of my shop was one of mixed emotions ... I was very happy the shop of my dreams was becoming a reality ... but why is it so small? The concrete made it look small ...(:

It wasn't long ago I took a day off work to watch the crew pour the slab for my shop. I can't wait to see yours finished.
    Jack

Congratulations! And now the spending, err....investment...really commences...

Seriously, I'm glad that the masons were able to keep your shop area "flat". I really wish I could remediate that for my shop, but it brings a whole host of complications, unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ah, very nice! Perhaps one day I'll look forward to such an endeavour!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Lookin' Good, Don!

You'll be makin' sawdust before you know it!

Keep the pics comin'...........
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Congrats!!! The concrete is a big deal - it makes the shop real. The shop of my dreams is currently just grass and weeds.

Congratulations, but ---

Your progress incites my envy, but of the well deserved kind! However, out of respect to the civil engineering community, I note that I used to get made fun of by the civil engineers when I used the term "poured" before the word concrete. They would tell me, with perfect sincerity, that if the slump of the concrete is high enough to pour, then the concrete is no good. So, if you want to sound technical, say "placed." Sigh - but what the heck, all professions have terms of art or secret code words and I do not see civil engineers as being different. BTW - not a bad idea to have a cone and check slump - lots of floors crack prematurely because the slump is too high and there are insufficient plasticisers in the concrete to make up for the lack.

Are you going to heat this shop with pex in the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pender View Post

Are you going to heat this shop with pex in the floor?
    Thomas, here in Southern California I can get by most of the cold days with a fairly small space heater. I thought about using some form in in-floor heating, but the cost was too high. I'm trying very hard to keep the total cost of the building including electrical, insulation and drywall, below $45,000 (fire regulation requirements and permit costs may put me over that goal a little). I could have saved some money by doing part of the work myself. That has proven difficult since the shop is at our new home site that is at least a four hour round trip away from where I live now. The current cost of gas would have cut deeply into any savings. Fortunately I have a contractor who understands that saving money on the build is important. He's been able to save me a lot so far.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Congratulations! I bet it feels great to see some progress on your project. Are you planing on using some sort of epoxy sealer on your floor? It's the one thing I wish I had done before I started moving in tools.

Looking good Don. I'd kill for a detached shop, LOML wouldn't mind either (til she saw the $ outlay).
    Now you sure you aren't violating some permit by law in CA posting pics???
    BTW, I made the mistake of showing that Stand Up Mirror to the LOML... she showed it to the girls at her work too. Suddenly I have requests to make 4 of them but only one freebie... me needs to keep things to myself occasionally.
    You lucky dog.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gatti View Post
    Congratulations! I bet it feels great to see some progress on your project. Are you planing on using some sort of epoxy sealer on your floor? It's the one thing I wish I had done before I started moving in tools.
    My understanding on any sealers or paints for a concrete floor are that the concrete needs to cure a minimum of a month...maybe even two months.

I guess it depends on the speed of the rest of the shop being built but I would do it if possible before anything gets moved in. Take a look at www.ucoatit.com for some nice garage floor paint.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

+1, biggest mistake in building my shop was not waiting to move the tools in. The last subcontractor was still installing the garage door while I was rolling the tools in the door. Don't repeat my mistake.
    Wood'N'Scout

Paul, I'm looking into that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    Looking good Don. I'd kill for a detached shop, LOML wouldn't mind either (til she saw the $ outlay).
    Now you sure you aren't violating some permit by law in CA posting pics???
    BTW, I made the mistake of showing that Stand Up Mirror to the LOML... she showed it to the girls at her work too. Suddenly I have requests to make 4 of them but only one freebie... me needs to keep things to myself occasionally.
    You lucky dog.

Greg
    Greg, I was surprised to find out that a detached garage is actually a lot cheaper to build than one attached to the house. It's a good thing that I had the space between the house and the propane tank. Code requires 10' from the house and propane tank. The building is 11' from both.

After all is done I may have some things to say that might be a violation of the building code, but I don't think there is a regulation against posting pictures.

On the mirror, I've learned not to show my wife any project that I can't fit into my "schedule" in the next two years. Needless to say, I'm not showing her anything. I already have current project plans will take me much longer than two years. I've also made it clear to her, our friends and relatives that I don't have any project time to squeeze in something for others. Doing that kind of projects was one reason I quit my woodworking over twenty years ago. Most of my "shop time" was spent making things for others and I couldn't make what I wanted to make. I don't want to get into that situation again. Yes, I do enjoy making projects for others, but I do it on my terms and schedule, not theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    My understanding on any sealers or paints for a concrete floor are that the concrete needs to cure a minimum of a month...maybe even two months.

I guess it depends on the speed of the rest of the shop being built but I would do it if possible before anything gets moved in. Take a look at www.ucoatit.com for some nice garage floor paint.
    Chris, I'll have to check on the "wait time" on whatever project I decide to use. Thanks for the link to Ucoatit. I remember seeing their site a couple of years ago when all this was still a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    +1, biggest mistake in building my shop was not waiting to move the tools in. The last subcontractor was still installing the garage door while I was rolling the tools in the door. Don't repeat my mistake.
    Steve, fortunately I don't have to move it all right away. We will have both of our homes at least through next June when my wife retires. I do, however, have a lot of projects for the new house that would be a lot easier to do if my tools were down there. It seems that I'm always trying to do some work at the new house, but forgot to take a particular tool with me. I'm also looking forward to contributing my own work to the Woodworking Projects Forum instead of just looking at the work of others.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 09-18-2008 at 3:48 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Great start Don. Lookin real good.