Thread: computer recomendation

computer recomendation

I've got to get a cheap computer fast (started an online class, no money, gotta do it now), is this a really terrible option or would it do me in the short term? http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do

Sorry, know this is really off topic but you guys & gals are a great source & as always I do appreciate the help.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

This came up recently, the HPs used to have an overheating issue, we have to keep ours elevated, or it shuts itself off. Google for the HP forums and check out that model. You can get a Dell for that price, but have to wait for it to ship. Also look at what's available at Office Depot and Costco if there's one near you. This Toshiba for example is less, the only difference I can see in features is less memory.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ith-Processor/

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Sometimes you can find refurbished units at Best Buy or other stores quite cheap. Also Dell may have refurbs too.

Yea, Dell and Lenovo refurbs are very often good buys and you can get the business quality machines for less than "consumer" prices.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't like Best Buy. The prices may be great going in but their service department has its own web trash site. I have had good luck with the latest HPs but make sure you can return the computer if you have a problem. I bought one from Walmart and had to return it couldn't get it to keep running. Went next door and bought 2 from Sam's Club and they have been working great for the past two months. The price was around the same as most other sellers and no funny business.
    David B

Local

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stanford View Post
    I've got to get a cheap computer fast (started an online class, no money, gotta do it now), is this a really terrible option or would it do me in the short term? http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do

Sorry, know this is really off topic but you guys & gals are a great source & as always I do appreciate the help.

g
    Perhaps one of these guys can put one together for you

http://www.magicyellow.com/category/...lfport_MS.html

My last two computers were Dell refurbished units at the Dell Outlet online store. Great price. Like new, if not new. Same warranty. Good service. Delivery in 3 or 4 days.

Happy hunting,

-Jeff

I've not bee the least bit impressed with HP/Compaq in recent years. I concur with the suggestion to spend the same money on a Dell refurb. As an added bonus, a refurb may come with XP and you can avoid all the Vista problems.

All I can say is Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway. I have had Gateway computers since 1989 and have been very happy with them. I just got a new laptop and its great. You can go to the Gateway site and check out the new prices and then check out the refurbished ones. You won't be sorry
    Dave

Laser Lane Engraving
    Epilog Laser, Legend 32, 75 Watt
    Corel X4, Photo Shop, Photograv Software

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rawn View Post
    All I can say is Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway Gateway. I have had Gateway computers since 1989 and have been very happy with them. I just got a new laptop and its great. You can go to the Gateway site and check out the new prices and then check out the refurbished ones. You won't be sorry
    We used Gateway laptops at work for a while. They had a much higher failure and repair rate than the Compaqs.

I purchase computers for my business. We've used Dell's exclusively for a decade. The quality - like the quality on ALL electronics - has gone down considerably.

IMHO, a computer is a 3 year purchase. At $600, that machine's hard to beat for basic 'Office' type applications and Internet browsing. One thing: make sure you've factored in the price of your OS and wordprocessing package. The two together might run you a few hundred more $$.

Anymore, when I buy a computer I just call Dell and ask them "I want a machine with Windows XP Pro and Office Professional. What's the best machine I can get for $X?".