Thread: Shimming Delta Unisaw TS... Pics for clairfication

Shimming Delta Unisaw TS... Pics for clairfication

Hola All,

I am trying to shim the right extension table for my Delta Uni. The first measurement I took was to check the flatness of the extension table by using a straightedge and meauring diaganolly. What I found was that I could not get a straightedge under the right and left side of the straightedge so the straighedge is flush to the extension on the ends. Once I get about 2" away from either end, the middle of the straightedge dips perciptiously. I can fit a piece of paper under the middle or a feeler gauge to .013. Before I get to the shimming, is this extension table too warped?

[image]http://my-image-hosting.com/out.php/t28391_P1020456.JPG[/image]

[image]http://my-image-hosting.com/out.php/t28390_P1020455.JPG[/image]

Thanks, Bill

Bill, I wouldn't worry about .013 and I'm pretty anal.
    How does it match up with the saw top?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding your question about how the extension table lines up with the saw table, the extension table is higher than the saw table at the front and about equal to the saw table in the back. Bearing all that in mind, where would you place the shims? Obviously at the front of the saw but towards the top or bottom of the joint where the extension table meets the saw table?

Thanks

Bill, the only reason to add shims between the saw top and the wing is to compensate for wing sag, or if the out side edge is too high. If the wing is sagging down relative to the saw top you would add shims to the lower part of the saw/wing joint to bring it up. Vice versa if the out side edge is high.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney