Thread: Finally.... first real turning from the great white

Finally.... first real turning from the great white

I finally had a little time to get some shavings off The Great White... and itīs a wonderful feeling that she just spins...

Bowl in slightly spalted maple finish is GrapeSeedOil and sanded to 220.

dimensions : 21 cm i diameter 7 cm high.. inclusions and spalting and some burl development...

Well let me hear what you thing.. (and the foot is on purpose) pictures are distorted the relation between inside and out are good and thickness is consistent

topkomprimeret.jpg bund klippet.jpg

I have one ? for all you mustard owners.. the lathe rocks slightly just around 700 rpm. not below not above ?? what could be the matter ?? that i used the small washers between the legs and the bed? that i used the feet that came with the lathe or maybe that i havenīt leveled it out completely ?
    Last edited by Rasmus Petersen; 06-04-2008 at 7:16 AM.
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

Yahoo!

Congrats on your first turning on the new machine. Rasmus, I've seen lathes with vearious concrete building materials, sandbags, and lead weights hoding them down. You might just have a Sympathetic vibration caised by a harmonice at the rpm your machine tries to dance. Weight under the bed on the stand could hold the lathe down so that it won't dance out of the shop. Good luck with the solution, and very nice first turning.
    Bob

I like the grain and style of the bowl especially the rim treatment. It might be your lathe is not perfectly level, and I know it needs more weight for higher speed. Adding sandbags will help.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Nice first turning off the new lathe. On my PM I get a slight vibration at ~600RPM when spinning unbalanced wood. Going up or down a few RPM makes the vibration go away, assuming the piece was balanced enough to be spinning that fast in the first place. Its not rocking or jumping around, I have to put my hand on the lathe to feel it. I attribute it to being the resonance frequency of the lathe.

--
    Paul

Nice bowl and beautiful wood. Have not heard of Grape Seed Oil as a finish before. Is that common in your part of the world? .........Ron

Rasmus - nice looking bowl! Glad you are getting some use out of your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing some more!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking bowl out of some great looking wood. Keep'em coming.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice bowl. Hope you get the vibration thing settled.

Very nice looking bowl

Thank you all.. Ron have posted about the grape seed before, check that og PM me for details...

Nice bowl bowl Ramus - I also like the rim and a great piece of wood.
    David

Rasmus,
    Looks good! I found if you place a level on the bed lengthwise and adjust it close THEN place the level on each end perpendicular to the bed, adjust the pads so it's dead on... the lathe won't rock. After you did all that work mark the floor just in case it moves.

I did some leveling, and when i have tha bandsaw in i think im gogin to make a caster soultion, and som permanent feet to place the bench in.