Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make lemonade

Trying to make lemonade

Hello folks -

I have not posted in ages, but have been lurking and watching!

The storms that rolled through our area yesterday were devastating. Bad news: a very large (VERY large), old, beautiful oak tree fell and crushed a small corner of our home. The good news: nobody hurt, insurance will cover everything, and I now have a supply of really nice wood from a very large (VERY large), old, beautiful oak tree.

Do any of you know a good person or company to talk with here in Northern Virginia (very close to Maryland) that can cut the wood up into usable board feet?

Thanks, everyone!

Mike

Mike, I'm glad that you and yours are all OK. We had some nasty stuff roll through Fredericksburg, too, but not to the extent that you folks got.

Good luck getting your oak milled up. Be safe!!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Bummer on the house damage, but it's good no one was hurt. I can imagine that tree was a nice one, however....Professor Dr. SWMBO grew up in Falls Church and the trees in that neighborhood (Executive Drive) are very tall and mature.

The Woodmizer site should have a sawyer listing somewhere that might get you a local resource. That's how I found the fellow I use here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike,

Ditto on good thing noone was hurt.

When you go looking for a sawyer, be prepared for blade charges and to have sawyers refust to slice up a "yard" tree. The problem with really big, old trees that are so close to houses is that they invariably have metal in them. Cut off the very base of the tree and look for "blue stain" which is what happens when embedded metal rusts and the sap carries the stain up and down the tree.

Rob

Mike

I would see if Carl Middleton of B&K Portable Sawmill Services is available
    703 929 4310 (you might try calling a couple times, if he's running machinery he won't hear the phone)
    He is located in Lovetsville VA, 5 miles above Leesburg.

FYI, he also sells air dried lumber at good prices

Craig
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

Thanks, guys. I'll give the website a quick review and call the sawyer!

Have a great one,

Mike

Good luck, Mike! Post some pics, aye?!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Pics of "House Vs. Tree"

Hi folks -

I contacted the sawyer mentioned above and believe that we'll be able to help each other out well. Attached please find a couple of pics of the tree and one of the (now damaged) house.

Our insurance company is continuing to do a fantastic job, and the power is now back on in the house. More importantly, so is the power in the shop!!

God Bless,

Mike

Once more with pics...

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's looks like it's going to be a lot of lemonade.

Hi Anthony -

Ooooohh, yeah. Lots of lemonade!

The list of projects is already growing! We were thinking about holding on to some of our old furniture before the accident, but now... not only do I have the wood to complete the project, I have the need!

All the best,

Mike

How about using the tree to rebuild the corner of your house

I had a similarly sized tree fall in my yard (away from my house). You don't notice how huge those trees are until they've fallen.

The irony was that since there was no house damage, I had to foot the whole $2000 cleanup bill myself. If it had fallen on the house, insurance woulda covered it ALL (um, minus a $2000 deductible - heehee)

Remove the bark before storing it to dry. Critters mostly live between the bark and the wood.

Whooooooooooo. Timber!!!!!! It would be very ironic if you used some of that lumber to make a lemonade stand!

Glad all are safe and good luck. Big tree sir.

Sorry about your misfortune. Try www.woodfinder.com They have a nation wide listing of sawyers.