Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing Nailers

Framing Nailers

Guys any suggestions on a framing nailer? I'm looking for a full round head stick nailer. Since I'm a weekend warrior it does not have to be a Rolls Royce but I don't want to cheap out either. I'm looking for ones that are not prone to jam, have enough power to get through pressure treated wood and laminated beams, and can get nails at the borgs.

Some that I've used in the past are: Porter Cable and Senco.

I have Porter Cable for my brad and finish nailers and they work fine.

I use a senco framepro 651. its a clipped head nailer. I love it!

Porter cable is good. i have used a number of those. also bostich are nice too.

Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Before going back to school a long time ago, I had a Bostitch clipped head nailer.
    Definately put it through the paces. Never a single problem with it.

Since I have bought my own house now. I have a full head framing nailer. It's the Harbor Freight one. I have not done alot with it. Just 4 walls inside the house. But it does use std nails sold at the borgs, 21 deg. As for brand name guns. I also have some Senco nailers, but none are framing though. But happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gabbay View Post
    Guys any suggestions on a framing nailer? I'm looking for a full round head stick nailer. Since I'm a weekend warrior it does not have to be a Rolls Royce but I don't want to cheap out either. I'm looking for ones that are not prone to jam, have enough power to get through pressure treated wood and laminated beams, and can get nails at the borgs.

Some that I've used in the past are: Porter Cable and Senco.

I have Porter Cable for my brad and finish nailers and they work fine.
    What kind of compressor will you be using to drive the framer? They obviously use a lot more air and smaller compressors (like the PC pancake) will cycle constantly and not keep up.

Just something to think about. If you're running a good compressor, then forget I said anything.

To answer your original question, I have and really like the Paslode cordless framer. It's built 2 sheds and a bathroom and worked great. Not having a hose is a really wonderful thing.

John - I have a 15 gallon PC compressor. It can easily handle a nailer.

Paslode FS 350 I think mine is.
    I don't use it every day of the week, but it's seen a few thousand nails easily... never had a problem with it, not even a single jam.

Greg

Thumbs up

I am also a weekend warrior and I just purchased a DeWalt full head nailer from Tools-Plus for $124. It is a refurbished unit and comes with a 1 year warranty. Used it with a porter cable pancake compressor and had no issues.

I have a Paslode F-350S (2"-3 1/2" nails). It shoots an offset fullhead nail (RounDrive), plenty of power, no problem with jams so far. Nails are readily available at the borg, but I sure do wish they came in smaller quantities. I hate to buy a gazillion nail case/box of a specific size when I know I'll never use that many.

Exclamation If you want to stop the bleeding,

What I mean by that is , problems ,jambs,and just plain malfunctioning every other day~don't be penny wise and pound foolish ` Bostitch/Hitachi ~ I know they are higher than other brands out there but speaking from experience, I am 99% sure that when I use it , it is going to work flawlessly, the 1% left is because that usually has to do with me being absent minded, forgetting to open the line valve.
    I have learned that you can get away with certain tools on the inexpensive mind set , and maybe get away with it,~ I think this is one of those tools you don't want to gamble with.
    Just My 2 cents,
    Brian

On a side note ~ Free shipping & More Free shipping
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 06-05-2008 at 2:26 PM.

My guess is that you have the Pancake compressor that came with the brad nailer (me too). Those things are too light for anything but the brad nailer; even my 15ga finish nailer cycles it too frequently for comfort.

You might consider getting a gas fired framing nailer. One of my contractors framed out our basement with it. The charge seemed to last a long time.

I think having a 'cordless' framing nailer is a great thing bkz it eliminates a messy and dangerous air pipe, it's instant, and you don't have to deal with the compressor scaring the bejesus out of yr loved ones.

I just bought a reconditioned Bostitch F28WW from Tooling for $155. Other than a bit of surface rust you would think it was brand new. It works just like new too.

Mike,

I have the Paslode cordless framer and two Senco SN-4's. The Paslode is a good all around gun. If I was only going to have one gun it would be the Paslode. More important than the gun are the nails. I try to use only Senco nails. I have framed many houses and decks over the years and the Senco nails have the best holding ability. Neither of these guns are full round head shooters but I have never seen the need for it.

I have a porter cable and I am very happy with it. I shopped around a while and was tempted by more expensive tools. I am building a rather large addition to my house and have shot probably close to 1000 nails so far. I have not had any problems and it has taken a beating. I would buy it again in a second.
    Good luck in your search!

Porter Cable FR350

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Livingston View Post
    I have a porter cable and I am very happy with it. I shopped around a while and was tempted by more expensive tools. I am building a rather large addition to my house and have shot probably close to 1000 nails so far. I have not had any problems and it has taken a beating. I would buy it again in a second.
    Good luck in your search!
    I found a P-C on Ebay near me for less than $100. It was dropped off for rebuilding and never picked up. It could use some paint but works well for me, plenty of power

+1 for the Paslode framing nailer.

Maybe I'm just a slow framer, but had mine attached to a PC pancake compressor driving 3.5" nails into pressure treated 4x4s and, while the compressor kicked on a fair bit, I wasn't standing around waiting for the pressure to build up. Granted, I see guys framing decks driving a couple nails a second, but my aim ain't that good.