Thread: Improving the Bosch Router

Question Improving the Bosch Router

Hi everybody,

I have a Bosch 1617 EVSPK router with fixed and plunge bases. I used to have one of the super cheap Skil routers that I sold on eBay so I could upgrade to the Bosch. The Skil had a little LED light built into it, and now I realize how much I miss that - it made it so nice to see my work. Is anybody aware of some sort of aftermarket light available for routers?

Secondly, the one thing I don't like about the fixed base is the wood handles - is it just me or are these really slippery? I know I've seen some sort of spray on/brush on rubberized tool coating before, but I don't know what it's called or where to get it. Is anybody aware of where I can get such a product?

Other than that, it's a great router!

Thank you!
    Travis

I have this kit and like it a lot.

I must admit, however, that I use it more with the plunge base than the fixed one.

You could probably just scuff the wooden handles up with some sandpaper to improve the grip. I've never found them to be especially slippery, though.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rassat View Post
    Hi everybody,

I have a Bosch 1617 EVSPK router with fixed and plunge bases. I used to have one of the super cheap Skil routers that I sold on eBay so I could upgrade to the Bosch. The Skil had a little LED light built into it, and now I realize how much I miss that - it made it so nice to see my work. Is anybody aware of some sort of aftermarket light available for routers?

Secondly, the one thing I don't like about the fixed base is the wood handles - is it just me or are these really slippery? I know I've seen some sort of spray on/brush on rubberized tool coating before, but I don't know what it's called or where to get it. Is anybody aware of where I can get such a product?

Thank you!
    Travis

I also have this kit and love it as well. It was an incredible step up from my old craftsman. I, like Jason typically use the plunge base, but when I use the fixed I dont find the handles terribly slippery, but that being said if you find them slippery just scuff them up a bit. As scary as it is to take sandpaper to your nice new router,having control of is more important.

I keep my fixed base permanently mounted to the bottom of my router table and use the plunge base for hand ops. In fact, I just unscrewed the wood handles because they interfere with the mounting under my table.

The easiest way to improve the grip is to wrap some thick rubberbands around each handle.

Or u can take a page from the garage floor finishers and mix an oz or 2 of 5-minute epoxy with a teaspoon of fine sand and coat yr handles with that.

There also exists plastidip, but I haven't used it.

I haven't found a problem with the handles. But I have found the whole unit to be bit unbalanced. I have it to be tippy, both when placing it upside down to change bits or while using it on edging functions. Otherwise I love it. I even bought a separate motor to mount in a Rousseau lift on my router table.

I bought a couple Pat Warner subbases for it which pretty much fixed all the issues I had with it. Subbases are clear, so improved visibility. One is offset, so improved stability. One has the ability to mount guide bushings, so I can use my standard set. I also like the dust collection fittings that Bosch makes for it. They work quite well.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter View Post
    I bought a couple Pat Warner subbases for it which pretty much fixed all the issues I had with it. Subbases are clear, so improved visibility. One is offset, so improved stability. One has the ability to mount guide bushings, so I can use my standard set. I also like the dust collection fittings that Bosch makes for it. They work quite well.
    Pat Warner's website is a terrific source for router information (and inspiration) and his accessories are incredible without a doubt.
    I have been having fun recently with some scrap pieces of 1/4" lexan (donated to the cause by our local glass supplier) making my own sub bases.... including a self centering one for mortising as described in the book "Router Magic". Very pleased with how it works. I also made a base for cutting dados (in sheets too wide to handle on the TS) that will compensate for differences in plywood thicknesses. One edge is 3 1/4 from the center the opposite edge is just under 31/2" to center. With a 1/2 bit and a straight edge it will cut a perfect undersized dado. The other edges are sized at just under 3 1/4 and exactly 3 1/2 and can be used for fine tuning. My router is a Milwaukee but I know you will love that Bosch, it's a great router. Have fun with it !

8. Bosch 1617's are reliable work horses. I have 2, one is the straight 1617, and the other is a 1617EVSPK that comes with both bases. If I had to get critical of them, I would say they are not the quietest routers out there, and one thing annoys the critical engineers, and that is when you are using the fine adjust knob, then clamping down the router, it shifts. So the bit moves a little in one direction, but more importantly, it affects the overall height. It doesn't move that much, but for those who believe is using a micrometer to set the top most height of the bit, to capture an earlier setting, that final clamp down movement can be a bit frustrating.
    I am not bashing the unit, they are great routers. The fine adjust knob is a quantum leap over my old Sears original use router. I had to try a setting, then to readjust, I had to loosen the collar, and it would drop completely away from the old setting, so it was a guessing game as to where the next try at setting it would be. With the Bosch, you get your approximate setting, check it, then you can fine tune it, to tweak it in. What a time saver, not to mention not having to deal with the frustration.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

I have a Bosch 1617 and I'm on my third switch for it. Would not buy another Bosch router.

Hi everybody,

Thank you!
    Travis
    First, start with the suggestions to scuff the handles with sandpaper. Secondly, ONE version of the stuff your refering to is sold both at auto parts stores and Walmart. It is Bed liner material for truck beds (similar to undercoating). Look in the paint/autobody section, if the scuffing doesn't make you happy.

I found it funny to read this post, I had the R+D guys from Bosch in my shop about a year or so ago and had similar observations. I really didn't like the wooden knobs, I felt they were a bit oversized, a little too smooth, and I actually prefer a knob that's not perfectly round. I also thought a light was a nice bonus, not necessary, but nice to have. I guess I'm not the only one to think that way, of course I didn't really use the tools, just commented on them so maybe in time they grows on you.
    JeffD

Plasti-dip might be what you were thinking of initially, I used to use it alot on fishing gear to improve grip on things (rod holders especially) I've also used it on bare metal crescent wrenches to make them nice to hold onto.

Great stuff

Hi everybody,

Thank you!
    Travis
    (1) Yes, I bought an LED light on a serpentine neck with a base that can be stuck on a router base. I got it on closeout at Lowe's for about $5, when it was originally selling for about $30. I don't know if Lowe's sells it or not anymore, but I believe it was made by either Dremel or Rotozip to work on their products. I have it in the shop somewhere, but have not used it yet.

(2) You can get the stuff you're looking for in a can or in a spray can at Lowes, HD, Wal-mart, or any auto parts store. It comes in many names, but is sold to coat tool handles. It may be the same thing as bed liner, but the brand I've used was more rubber-like than most bed liner material. It's around $5-8 per can.

I don't own a Bosch router, only because I've found a DeWalt and Hitachi on sale for much less, and they fit my needs. I'm a big fan of Bosch tools overall, however, and that router is widely held as one of the best that are readily available in its price range/size range. Good luck!

Smile Thanks!

Thanks, everybody, for the pointers and thoughts! Plasti-dip is what I was thinking of, but I'll try just roughing up the knobs a bit first. That might be just enough for it to feel good.

Thanks for the Pat Warner information, too - he's got some really cool things there, and I think those clear bases will be a great improvement!

Thanks again, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Falkenbach View Post
    I have a Bosch 1617 and I'm on my third switch for it. Would not buy another Bosch router.
    I found on my Bosch that the switch would fill with sawdust. If you take out the switch and take it apart you can get the sawdust out and it will work again.