Thread: Maple & Cherry Jewelry Box

Maple & Cherry Jewelry Box

Below is the Maple & Cherry Jewelry box I made for my niece's graduation present.

The sides are 1/4" Maple, dividers are 1/8" Maple. The inside skirting and bottom skirting is 1/8" Cherry and provides the stackability to the box. The top is 1/2" Cherry and 1/2" Spalted Maple.

I finished it with 6 coats of water-based polyurethane.

I got the design from an issue of Woodsmith. LOML thought my niece would think the glitter felt would be a cool touch. I had my doubts, but I don't think it looks bad at all.

Let me know what you think!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Very Well Done! That spalted maple sure looks nice. Thanks for showing the pictures.
    Rusty Hughes

Great job Kurt! I love that spalted maple. Haven't made anything "flat" out of it yet but have turned a few. Keep up the good work.

Sparky
    Sparky Paessler

What a great gift, Kurt! Nice job on this "tower of power". I'm sure she'll be looking from someone to fill it up...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Kurt!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Interesting design, Kurt. I love the lid. Are the layers all loose or can they be mechanically tied somehow?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks Guys,

Aside from making bee hive supers for my father, this was my first box-joint project. The bee hive supers were so much easier as tear-out and other blemishes are no big deal as the bees will fill them very quickly with wax and the blemish magically disappears.

I first tried my 6" sears stacked dado set and got very bad tear out, even with a backer board. I tried using a cheap old dovetail jig and the cheap (not inexpensive, though) bushings for my Bosch router came apart and I ended up ruining the 1/4" plastic template. (I can't believe that they make them from 2 pieces and press fot them together - what poor craftsmanship) Finally I made a box-joint jig for the router table and used a 1/4" straight bit - worked very well with littl eor no tear out at all. What a learning experience that was. Anywell the results were good, so it was not all in vain.

I got the Spalted Maple from a short end at the local sawmill when I picked up my Cherry for my kitchen cabinets. It was a 2" x 8" by about a foot piece that was laying around and the guy loading my trailer grabbed it to use as a spacer for the stack of cherry. Imagine my surprise when I resawed it and found the "burried trerasure" beneath the rough weathered exterior. I knew I had to keep it for a very special project and I think this definitely counts as special!

Chris - No it doesn't mechanically connect, just nests neatly when stacked. I am going to do a bunch more (4) jewelry boxes for my other nieces for christmas and there is a round style that the stack swing out to expose each drawer and I am looking forward to that challenge.
    Last edited by Kurt Aebi; 04-13-2004 at 2:25 PM.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt