Thread: Spiral cutterhead vs. drum sander advice

Spiral cutterhead vs. drum sander advice

Hey Guys,
    I am looking at upgrading from a 6" Grizzly jointer and 12" DeWalt lunchbox planer to a Grizzly 12" combo jointer/planer. I have a small shop and real estate is very valuable. I occasionally use curly/figured wood and it tears out badly on my current gear (sharp blades, dampen boards, etc).
    I don't have a drum sander and was curious if springing fr the spiral cutterhead vs. the standard knives would preclude the need to purchase a drum sander down the road? If so, I may have better luck justifying this expense to the "thinks I'm crazy for wanting to drop $2500 on a tool" wife.

Any thoughts on other jointer/planer combos also welcome! I hear the Tersa knives are great but can see spending more than $2500.
    Thanks for any help!!
    Jeff

I'm in the same boat

so FWIW, I've decided to get the G0634 http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/48
    It came highly recommended by fellow creekers.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Jeff, this topic draws two camps. I am a fan of Byrd spiral carbide heads, have one on the planer and one on the jointer. I am meticulous in how I prepare each piece I use, and as a result, My glue ups are perfectly flat and level without using biscuits, splines, or Dominos. When I take the clamps off, I am ready for ROS, usually starting with 120 grit.

I do the following;
    1) Cut the boards I need right away from rough sawn lumber. Cut them slightly longer and wider than I need.
    2) Make one surface flat with the jointer.
    3) Make the board even thickness, and flat by using the planer. Make sure to take about the same amount off each side. I do this by planing until clear, and then flipping each pass.
    4) Joint one edge to make straght.
    5) Rip to width
    6) Cut one end 90 degrees
    7) Cut the other end to 90 degrees.

This approach takes more time than just slapping together.

Others spend less time on the prep, and then run the panels, and even completed doors through the drum sander. The drum sanders I've watched were pretty slow, actually REALLY slow. I personally get a real kick out of getting the boards flat and straight, and watching the glue ups go perfect.