Thread: Brazilian Pepper

Brazilian Pepper

Has anyone used the wood of the Brazilian Pepper tree for turning?
    If so, is it better green or dried? Note, this is also called California Pepper, Florida Pepper... et al.
    Gregg Feldstone

Back to the top....should I try this wood?
    Gregg Feldstone

I've turned a bit, be prepared it moved like crazy and developed a few sizable cracks but it's more than worth the trouble. It has wonderful coloring with various shades of tan, brown, and even some lines that are almost black. It also has a very nice peppery smell while turning that I really enjoy.

Jason

I received a box in a swap a few years ago that is california pepper. It's beautiful wood but I've never seen it available around here or turned it.

Gregg my tree guy brought me some pepper tree (I don't know what type), very pretty. Had lots of reds, grays, and tans in it. I did two bowls, both cracked, and moved ( the largest movement of any wood I've used). I'm new and only been turning for 3 months so take my comments with that in mind. The other day I tried a 12" vase out of pepper tree, roughed it and got tired, when I came back the next day about 50 cracks and lots of movement, trashed it. Hated to post a reply, since I didn't know if this would be any help. Remember I'm in Arizona and we are having single digit humidity right now.....hope I helped.....Bruce
    My next pepper tree project I will DNA or try the dish soap trick.

Myself and the Pepper trees live on an island in the Gulf of Mexico near Corpus Christi, TX. We NEVER have single digit humidity. In fact it's usually between 90%-100%.
    I am hoping that the pics I've seen here are the same type of wood thats growing like weeds all over the island.
    Are the bowls pictured in the above reply end grain turnings?
    Gregg Feldstone

Myrtle wood which is actually 'California Bay Laurel' is often called a California pepper tree, or a bay tree. Mostly greenish goldish, with browns, blacks, and rarely some red and pinks. I got some Brazillian Peppper tree some years back. It came from the Los Angeles area. It had spumoni ice cream colors, pinks, pistashio green, and chocolate browns. Turned nice and sold quick.
    robo hippy

Brazilian Pepper is an invasive species that the State of Florida is trying to eliminate. It is definitely not the same as California Pepper (see above). That said, I have seen a few very attractive pieces of Brazilian Pepper turnings but have been told that if it doesn't crack today, it will tomorrow or next week.