Thread: My day at Grizzly Tent Sale (GLOAT)

My day at Grizzly Tent Sale (GLOAT)

What a day that was! I went to the Grizzly tent sale in Springfield on Saturday. I figured I would go see what was in the tents and then pick up my new bandsaw (513x2). Figured I might get a tent sale discount on the saw (no). Walking through the tents was a lot of fun and saw a few things that if not for the bandsaw would have tempted me. At the last tent were 2 16" jointers labeled "parts machine".
    One had been stripped of motor and cutterhead and the other still had the 1ph 5hp motor. Both had apparently fallen over and things like handwheels had suffered. I needed a motor to repower my planer to 1ph from 3ph. I also thought I would like to have a couple of cast iron work surfaces. So I splurge and get the jointer for $100. After picking up the bandsaw I head over to pick up the jointer. Once I give my receipt to the pick up person they come back over and ask "would you be interested in taking the other 16" jointer for free?"
    I had looked in the catalog and noted that the jointer weighed in at ~1700+ lbs and in my FIL 1/2ton pickup and declined the offer. After I was staged for loading, they asked again "If you want to take one home and come back for the other one that would be okay" making another round trip from Kansas City to Springfield did not appeal to me so I again declined. Got the jointer loaded and headed home.
    Unfortunately I do not have a forklift at home like they had at Grizzly so I unloaded it the old fashioned way, by taking it apart. I wasn't to worried since I was salvaging it anyway. 2 very heavy tables, cutterhead, and motor later, I still couldn't move the base. This base is 1/2" thick cast iron. Finally rolled it out of the truck on pipes and down a ramp onto the shop floor.
    By this time I have come to the realization that there are no broken castings, no missing crital parts, no bent mechanisms. Except for needing knives and gibs and some wire and a few control operators, this jointer is operational. I still don't have a repower for my planer or some cast iron work surfaces, but I think I got a $4K jointer for $100. I think I just might suck.

Yeah, I think you just might. Now see, you should have gone and rented a trailer, taken the other one, and had your CI work surfaces too! Congrats. Let us know when you get it up and running! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

The temptation was there. First I have got to get wheels set up on this jointer.

Hey we coulda had lunch.

Heres my $99.00 purchase.

tn_Jointer 001.jpgtn_Jointer 002.jpg
    tn_Jointer 005.jpgtn_Jointer 006.jpg

You just might....

Wow...incredible deal. Even if you had to put a grand and a half into that jointer to make it operational, you still "stepped in it"! Congratulations!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice score guys. You both suck. Congratulations.
    The older I get the faster I was.

That other machine

might have been interesting to somebody that wanted a 16" spiral head jointer. Congratulations on a big-time gloat.

Curt

This might be in the running for one of the best Gloats ever... please update the thread once you have them all up and running!
    Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Great story! How come I never luck into deals like that??? Of course it is all hearsay at this point without photos . . . . . you need to PROVE that you suck