Thread: Anyone using Remote control w/HF DC?

Anyone using Remote control w/HF DC?

I have a Harbor Freight "2hp" dust collector. I put the horsepower rating in quotes because we all know that these HP ratings are usually overstated, especially something from Harbor Freight.

However, I'm hoping in this case the overstatement of HP can work to my advantage. Every 110V remote for dust collectors seems to be rated for 1 1/2 HP. I checked the draw of my DC, and it pegs the needle (as expected) on startup, but settles down to a steady 12 amps.

Has anyone used any brand of 110V remote control for their HF dust collector? What brand/model did you use? Did you burn it up or did it work ok?

Thanks.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

I've been using the Long Ranger remote with my 1 1/2HP (110 v)Delta for a couple of years and they are probably pretty close in "actual" HP.

How about the HF remote control? Don't have one. Says its rated for 1 1/2 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cadotte View Post
    How about the HF remote control? Don't have one. Says its rated for 1 1/2 hp.

I use the HF remote control on the HF DC unit. Works fine. No problems at all. You'll love it!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    I use the HF remote control on the HF DC unit. Works fine. No problems at all. You'll love it!
    Thanks, Stephen! That's the kind of testimonial I was looking for before plunking down the $$.
    --Steve--

I've been using an el cheapo remote, that's advertiesed for running Xmas lights, with my HFDC. It's not like I'm using it multiple times a day but I believe it's been hooked up about 3 years now and is still going strong. IIRC, I paid around $8 for it at the local farm supply store. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    I've been using an el cheapo remote, that's advertiesed for running Xmas lights, with my HFDC.
    That's hilarious. I'm always so concerned that I'm not operating things "within spec", forgetting that many things (and not just the stuff I build) are way over-engineered!

Thanks, Dave.
    --Steve--

Several years ago, I bought several remote controls for the outside lights. I had an extra and it has been working with my Jet dc1000 ever since. Hook the control to my belt and away I go.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    Thanks, Stephen! That's the kind of testimonial I was looking for before plunking down the $$.
    You're very welcome! Glad to help.......
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    I've been using an el cheapo remote, ...I paid around $8 for it at the local farm supply store.
    I did something very similar but also included an AC relay from radio shack to kill to birds with one stone so to speak.

I have a grizzly 2hp DC outside my shop and 60gal 2 hp compressor sitting next to it. The normally closed contacts feed the compressor and the normally open set feeds the DC. When I need the DC on I press the remote and the DC comes on otherwise the compressor is powered - both from the same 20 amp circuit.

HTH - Fred