Thread: Powermatic 2000 wiring?

Powermatic 2000 wiring?

Hello Fellow Wood Workers,

I don't have the saw yet , but I am trying to wire my garage for a pm 2000 and other POWER tools and I was wonder if anyone new what the amperage requirements are for this pm 2000 cabinet saw (3 hp or 5 hp, 1 phase?

Frustrating

I just perused the PM website and can't even find any documentation/manuals for the pm2000.

Does the pm2000 have a T mitre slot? Surely it does, but again I can't find the specs or any pics that are zoomed in enough to tell.

I am currently looking around and the PM2000 is in the running. So I'll be interested in hearing your opinions.

Good Luck and Enjoy

Blog Entries
    I agree . .. frustrating. WMH is about the 5th site I've seen today that barely offers a token appearance on the web. Shop Fox is another example of folks that don't want business. Other sites post users manuals, parts lists, exploded diagrams and some even have engineering drawings. Some folks must just figure the internet is a passing fad, like rock-n-roll. ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Typically but not always 3hp = 20A (12/2, 220V) circuit and 5hp = 30A (10/2, 220V) circuit. It really just depends on the motor manufacturer and model. In this case, Powermatic seems to be lacking amperage draw information so you should check the motor information plate for it's power requirements. Check a local dealer for this information or contact WMH. If the requirements state (18.9A), go for a 30A circuit since you'd be on the upper end of a 20A circuit. If it's something like 16-17A, you'd be fine. Also if your wiring is running a long distance, upgrade to the next lower gauge of wire.

I ran 12/2 wiring for my general 220V workshop equipment and branched the 220V circuits since I only run a single machine at a time. I set up one 220V circuit on each opposite wall with four outlets each. I then installed two 30A dedicated circuits for my table saw and another higher draw device using 10/2 wire. Then I've got 6/2 for my welders, 12/2 for my HVAC, 14/2 for my lighting, and so on. I'm using L6-30 and L6-20 twist locks for my wood working equipment that is 220V.

I'm in the middle of wiring my shop right now. It's kind of fun and isn't all that difficult. I have so many outlet boxes in there, it's crazy.

WMH makes their manuals very hard to find - almost like you need to know where it is in order to find it. But here is the link for a page where you can download the PM2000 Manual: http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/Shop/ind...=4&iid=6057908

I have been very happy with mine - got it last July.

Mitchell

Yes, the PM2000 does have a T-miter slot.

I ran 10 gauge with a 30amp breaker for my PM2000. This would support either a 3 or 5 HP motor.

For the record, the 3HP PM200 motors FIL is 17 amps.

Thank for your help

Thanks Fellas,

I tried searching the internet and i thought it was me having the problem. Now I know I'm not crazy.

I have my PM 2000 wired to a dedicated 12/2 20A wire to a 220/20A breaker (double). Running like a champ!