Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give me your opinion, please

Give me your opinion, please

I teach carving at the local woodcraft and turn mallets for the class to use. Often, I wind up giving the mallets to the students, especially if they've been a really enjoyable class.

So I wind up turning a lot of mallets from scrap I have in my shop.

I keep experimenting with the shape, just for interest. Recently, I did a new shape and want to get your opinion of which one you like best.

Take a look at the picture attached. The mallet on the left is the traditonal one I've used for several years, and it works well (and is easy to turn). The one next to it (in walnut) is inspired by one that was posted here on SMC. However, my wife thought it was "too plain" so I turned another (in maple) and added some decorative detail. Finally, the last one is similar to the third one except for the transiton between the mallet face and the handle.

So - ignoring the material - which overall shape do you prefer?

Which handle do you think would be most comfortable?

Is there some other shape for a mallet that you particularly like?

Any other comments you have will also be appreciated.

Mike

[Just a couple of comments on mallets used for carving. For most carving you don't need a heavy mallet - you're just trying to save your hand (from tapping with the palm of your hand). Also, the end of the head needs to be flat (I usually make it a bit concave) so you can stand the mallet upright. This keeps it from rolling off the bench and makes it easy to grab when you need it. Also, most carver's mallets are round so you don't have to position the mallet in your hand - just grab and go.]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-13-2008 at 3:24 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I like the very plain, no muss, no fuss, walnut one. To me it says: old world...I made this to use, not look at. The rounded/blunt handles look very comfortable to hold compared to the traditional one on the left.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Agreed.

Also - any "decoration" or groove or moulding at the end of the handle might prove to be an irritant after extended use - or force my grip or motion to be a bit unnatural.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Mike, I like the fourth one best. I like the plain transition from the mallet to the handle, along with the elongate teardrop handle design it shares with #2 and #3.

I like the head of number 2 with the body of number 4. As long as the lines are not too sharp, I think they might help more with grip than be an irritant, allowing my fingers to not have to strain as hard over time. I don't think I would want grooves in the head portion though.

6. Mike,

When I use my carving mallet, I don't wrap my thumb around the handle and across my first two fingers; I line it up with the handle, like I'm holding a Japanese pull saw. I think it gives me better control. As a result, though, my thumb tends to rest on the transition between handle and head.

So I prefer a mallet with a good transition point where my thumb isn't sitting on a hard edge. That's what I turned on my osage mallet. You can see a good view of that profile here...

It makes it very comfortable to hold and use for longer periods of time (in my experience, anyway).

Mike,

Considering that I have one of the ones on the left, given to me by another creeker as a token of appreciation, my vote is for that design. The lip on the end of the handle makes it easy to hang on my tool wall upside down. With the design with the rounded end, this wouldn't be possible. I love my mallet by the way!

Bob

I concur

as a fellow user of your mallets, Mike; I can only comment on the far left design and the fact that I don't have to chase it around my shop; I 2nd the motion for that one

Thanks again Mike!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rozaieski View Post
    Mike,

Considering that I have one of the ones on the left, given to me by another creeker as a token of appreciation, my vote is for that design. The lip on the end of the handle makes it easy to hang on my tool wall upside down. With the design with the rounded end, this wouldn't be possible. I love my mallet by the way!

Bob
    Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

Just to give credit where it's due, the second mallet in the picture (in my original post) was inspired by one posted earlier by Ethan Sincox (not the one he posted here). Thanks, Ethan.

Mike

[Let me add one additional comment. The wood I make the mallets out of is not the best for a long wearing mallet - I use whatever scrap I have in the shop. The best wood I've found is lignum vita. But for people beginning carving, these will hold up long enough. Many never do any carving beyond the class. For those who continue, when my mallet wears out, they will know better what they want and can make or purchase a better quality mallet.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-13-2008 at 6:59 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Do I have to pick a favorite? They all look great. My vote (I guess if I can only pick one) is the first one, because of the lip at the end of the handle. Why? Same reason I wrap tape around the end of my hockey stick--so I don't send it flying! From what I've seen on this site, Mike could use a dead banana as a mallet and end up with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Sincox View Post
    Mike,

When I use my carving mallet, I don't wrap my thumb around the handle and across my first two fingers; I line it up with the handle, like I'm holding a Japanese pull saw. I think it gives me better control. As a result, though, my thumb tends to rest on the transition between handle and head.

So I prefer a mallet with a good transition point where my thumb isn't sitting on a hard edge. That's what I turned on my osage mallet.

It makes it very comfortable to hold and use for longer periods of time (in my experience, anyway).
    I like that one as well, Ethan. Does look comfy to hold. How is the Osage Orange holding up?

Has anyone ever stippled handles on homemade tools? This is a "checkering" pattern often done on gunstocks.

Need more...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    So - ignoring the material - which overall shape do you prefer?

Which handle do you think would be most comfortable?

Is there some other shape for a mallet that you particularly like?

Any other comments you have will also be appreciated.
    Mike,

I suspect that few of us here could a proper evaluation of these beauties until you ship each of us a whole set of four. I will happily share my thoughts after receipt. :-)

-b

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fleis View Post
    Mike,

I suspect that few of us here could a proper evaluation of these beauties until you ship each of us a whole set of four. I will happily share my thoughts after receipt. :-)

-b
    Hummm, maybe I should start a "Mallet of the Month" club. Each month you'd be offered a new mallet in either some new and different wood or a new design - perhaps for different applications.

Maybe there's a new business here. How's that sound??

Mike

Your opinion please

Mike,

They are all beautiful but I like #2 the best. But like Ethan I like a more rounded transition for my thumb.

George