Thread: Polishing tips

Polishing tips

I have a job coming in that is 1200 small (1x2 inch rectangles) 1/8" acrylic pieces that need the edges polished, any body have any tips on how to tackle this bear? Seems a little small for flame polishing, but I need some ideas, it's looks like a couple of hours cutting and a couple of days polishing.
    George

"The more I learn, the less I know."

DiJeES
    VersaLaser 30W 2.8 w\ Rotary Attachment, Hermes 7000 Rotary Engraver, Corel 11 & X3, Photoshop 5, Unimat, MultiCam 3000 CNC Router, etc--etc.

One thing you can do is clamp stacks of them together in a vise or F style clamp and flame poilsh that way.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I've only flame polished acrylic cut on a router, do I still need to sand and steel wool the pieces before polishing? I would think not as the edge is clean, I just need to round the sharp edges, and do the edges stick together when you flame polish in stacks?
    George

DiJeES
    VersaLaser 30W 2.8 w\ Rotary Attachment, Hermes 7000 Rotary Engraver, Corel 11 & X3, Photoshop 5, Unimat, MultiCam 3000 CNC Router, etc--etc.

The need for sanding and steel wool depends on how well the laser cut is.

Flaming is such a quick action that they don't stick together. I'd experiment with some scrap.

Sharp edges will probably need a quick pass with a file.

George, you're polishing the edges because....? Because you need them clear or you need the edges rounded a little bit?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    George, you're polishing the edges because....? Because you need them clear or you need the edges rounded a little bit?

Rounded a little bit
    George

DiJeES

The best way is to use a buffing wheel with a hard mop and a fine tripoli bar , will round and polish in one go.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I've found some success rounding edges on acrylic. It's a good way to eliminate ridges: the rounding effect isn't huge but helpful in really precise work where polishing is not practical.
    Cut the acrylic as usual. Then run the same file, only increase the speed (I triple the speed from say, 12 to 36) and do a manual focus. I pull the focus out by about a half inch and run the job again.
    The beam expands a bit and melts the leading edge down. I haven't experimented much, but the effect could potentially be amplified.
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

It sounds like stacking won't work if you need rounded edges.

It may cut some time if you cut only one axis and then polish as long strips. Then put back in the laser and cut on the other axis.

Cheers

George - just a thought, but have you thought about outsourcing this one? You could order them from a plastic provider pre-cut and polished edges. Quotes are free - I'd ask. It will obviously cut down on the profit, but will also cut down on the labor intensive work required.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

I would actually agree with Stephen , I think this job will be a major schlep at not much money.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher