Thread: HVLP vs bigger aircompressor

HVLP vs bigger aircompressor

I have been reading up on applying fine finishes via a spray gun instead of the brush/wipe method. I have been pricing the HVLP systems and the bottom sytem I would go for would be the one at Woodcraft for $274. I have also looked at professional grade systems on EBAY. I watched a Fuji system 4 sell for $400 and there is a Graco series 800 I am also watching. While talking to one of my cohorts today, he is a finish carpenter by trade, he said he used a DeVbliss air gun with a big, 220v, compressor. My question is this, would I be money ahead to just go for the bigger compressor now and buy a good gun such as the porter cable PSH 1 instead of buying an HVLP setup?

Bryan

Go over to Homestead Finishing and ask Jeff Jewitt. You can power an HVLP system with a reasonably small compressor (say 3HP single stage).

I have a IR-T30 5hp motor-2 stage pump- sitting on a 80 gal tank and I use a HVLP.
    I like the way they paint.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    I have been reading up on applying fine finishes via a spray gun instead of the brush/wipe method. I have been pricing the HVLP systems and the bottom sytem I would go for would be the one at Woodcraft for $274. I have also looked at professional grade systems on EBAY. I watched a Fuji system 4 sell for $400 and there is a Graco series 800 I am also watching. While talking to one of my cohorts today, he is a finish carpenter by trade, he said he used a DeVbliss air gun with a big, 220v, compressor. My question is this, would I be money ahead to just go for the bigger compressor now and buy a good gun such as the porter cable PSH 1 instead of buying an HVLP setup?

Bryan
    I have a 5 hp 60 gal used air compressor, a reconditioned Dayton, and although I have not tried hvlp yet (i have everything), i will say that the investment pays for itself soon.

(i am retired, and an avid amateur woodworker.)

air driven sanders, air blowers, metal grinders, nailers, staplers, micro nailers, all of these things become time savers and angst savers.

in many cases, with micro nailers, you can avoid using clamps for gluing.

another plus is veneering with a vacuum bag. in short, if you're considering a bigger, 60 gal compressor, go for it.

my compressor was inside the shop, but a friend helped me build a shed, of the shop, making noise, etc, much better

I have a good ridgid portable compressor and it rated at 4.6 cfm @ 90 psi. As to the micro nailer, I have a several pin nailers that my current compressors handles without skipping a beat. Another big issue I have is room, until I get a ship built my garage/shop is only available as long as the temps are ok, ones it starts frosting my shop goes into mothballs.......

Bryan

I feel it important to mention that "HVLP" is not a thing...it's a method/type of finish delivery. Some HVLP setups use turbines (what the OP is referring to as "HVLP") and others use regular compressors. ("conversion" guns) They all operate the same basic way regardless of the air source. What is most important with the latter type is that the compressor be able to supply enough air (SCFM) to run the gun well. Larger tanks do tend to run a little less to supply that, but a large compressor isn't "required"...just that the machine can deliver the required air.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

IMHO a conversion setup with a larger compressor offers you more flexibility for reasons already mentioned. Another thing you need to consider / address with a conversion setup is some way to condition the air before it reaches the gun or presure-pot. Talk to Jeff at Homestead and he will fix you up.

Thanks for the input(s). I am leaning towards finding a strong air compressor with 10-12 scfm or so instead of a 2, 3 or even a 4 stage turbine unless one comes around cheaply. I may still spend quite a bit on a good "conversion" gun and a set of tips/nozzles.

THanks and Happy Fathers day to the rest of the DADS out there!!

Bryan